Monday 22 April 2013

Ayam Masak Pedas (Hot and Spicy Chicken)


When I saw this dish at Azie Kitchen, it reminded me of Ayam Masak Merah. It has the same red fiery appearance but looking at the ingredients, it is a little bit different as it does not contain cinnamon, cloves and cardamom. It is probably the Kelantan version of Ayam Masak Merah.



Since I wanted to cook Nasi Minyak Kelantan, I decided that Ayam Masak Pedas would complement the rice beautifully. I have always loved the combination of Nasi Minyak and Ayam Masak Merah. These are the dishes I look forwards to at Malay weddings.

Marinated chicken steamed over high heat for about 10 minutes.

The recipe requires the marinated chicken to be briefly boiled first before frying but I decided to steam the chicken instead. After the chicken was steamed to precook it, I deep fried it until it was slightly brown around the edges. I usually dread deep frying  (except when making fritters and frying keropok hah! hah!) because it uses up a lot of oil and it makes my kitchen oily. But if it is necessary, then of course I will gladly do it.


Deep fried chicken pieces.

The next process would be to saute the ground spice paste until aromatic and then tomato and chilli sauce is added together with sliced onions and green peas. Simmer the sauce until onions are slightly tender and then the fried chicken pieces are added. Once everything is well mixed, you are done.


Served with Nasi Minyak and accompanying goodies. 

So how did this dish fare? It was delicious, the garlic, ginger and onions made it aromatic while the tomato and chilli sauce made it sweet and tangy. However, I could not help  comparing it to Ayam Masak Merah and I missed the presence of cloves, cardamon and cinnamon. Having said that, these 3 spices in the Nasi Minyak more than made up for their absence in this dish and the pairing was excellent.










Ayam Masak Pedas
Recipe source : Adapted from Azie Kitchen

Ingredients : 

- 3 chicken legs, cut into 9 pieces.

Spice paste :
- 5 dried chillies, soaked to soften
- 2 big onions
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2"' ginger

Sauce ingredients :
- 4 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 4 tablespoons chilli sauce
- Salt and sugar to taste

- 2 big onions, sliced
- 1 small can of green peas

Method :

To make the marinade and spice paste :
1. Blend the onions, garlic and ginger first.
2. Remove 2 tablespoons of the blended ingredients.
3. Then add dried chillies into the blender and continue to blend the spice paste.
4. To the 2 tablespoons of blended ingredients, add 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Use this to rub all over the chicken pieces and let marinate for 1/2 hour.

To cook the chicken :
1. Steam marinated chicken over high heat for 10 minutes.
2. Heat oil in wok and deep fry the chicken pieces until slightly brown (need not brown all the way through)
3. Drain on paper towels and set aside.

To prepare the sauce :
1. Heat oil in wok and saute the spice paste until aromatic and slightly thick.
2. Add tomato and chilli sauce.
3. Season with salt and sugar.
4. Add the sliced onions and peas. Simmer until onions are slightly tender.
5. Lastly, add fried chicken pieces and stir to coat the chicken pieces with the sauce.



I am submitting this post to Malaysian Food Fest Kelantan Month hosted by Gertrude of My Kitchen Snippets.

54 comments:

  1. Boil or steam first? Chinese cooking, they fry in oil first - to seal the juices and sweetness inside the meat. Not too keen on that though - can do without the additional oil used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I steamed it but the recipe says to boil. I wasn't too keen on deep frying but since the recipe called for it, I did it. And yes, my kitchen is oily sobs!

      Delete
  2. I have ayam masak merah and u have ayam masak pedas, we can share share our ayam... Like ur ayam pedas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Li Shuan! We can exchange and I can give you some Nasi Minyak, Acar and Pajeri Nenas too :)

      Delete
  3. This looks so good, my mouth is watering even as I look at your photos! Especially that dish with the rice and side dishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mich, I will be posting the recipe for the rice and side dishes too within this week. I had a heavenly meal last weekend hah! hah!

      Delete
  4. This type of chicken dish is very laku these days. I also like their vibrant colour! OK, can have 1 drumstick now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya lah, Jessie! This dish is so shiok with Nasi Minyak. I can give you the drumstick but hope that your sore throat is OK already :)

      Delete
  5. I love ayam masak merah and this dish looks so similar! I would love to have some but as usual lah, me very lazy when it comes to cooking lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeannie, this dish was quite time consuming because of steaming and then frying the chicken. Making the spice paste is easy, just dump in the blender. But worth it lah because I really enjoyed eating it :)

      Delete
  6. Hi Phong Hong, this post reminds me that I've bookmarked to cook it [Azie's Kitchen]. I was attracted by the word 'pedas'. I deliberated cooking it when I noticed the chilli used is very little. You know my hubby keeps saying my curries are not spicy enough. I told him 'you ate too fast, your taste buds haven't the chance to sense it'. BTW is it spicy? Like you combination above, pls send them over..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimmy, you can add more chillies. Mine was too little because I was scared it would be too hot. Hah! Hah! Your hubby's tongue must be super strong coz he can tahan lots of chillies. Sure can send over, with Nasi Minyak too. Stay tuned for the recipe :)

      Delete
  7. loved this recipe . mouthwatering and looks real spicy. Thanks for sharing this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Swasthi, I should have added more chillies as I found that my dish wasn't as hot as I would like it to be.

      Delete
  8. Mmmm with this can eat two plates of rice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah, you sure will tambah the Nasi Minyak. Hah! Hah!

      Delete
  9. haaaaa plingg!!!!

    dapat idea dah nak masak apa?! I tengah pening ni nak masak apa utk anak2 dinner nanti, so now dah dpt idea nak masak nasi minyak ngan ayam masak merah...ngiaw3..tenkiu la PH...ni yg bestnya masuk blog kawan masak2 kan? idea mari mcm sungai...hahaha..

    tenkiu sekali lagi tau! mmuahh!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Q, tak payah thank you lah...kita kan share-share sesama kawan-kawan. I pun ada nak try resipi you yang sedap-sedap tu. Masaklah Ayam Masak Merah and Nasi Minyak. Memang terbuka selera I bila pekena makanan macam ni. This ayam hampir-hampir serupa dengan Ayam Masak Merah. Cuma dia takde rempah 3 sekawan. Selamat memasak, I malam ni makan leftovers je tapi takpe sebab sedap....

      Delete
  10. Alamak! Ayam Masak merah with nasi minyak makes me drooling..... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Esther, this is my drooling dish too! Can't say no to it :)

      Delete
  11. Looks good! Next time please make some for me too, cos I dread deep frying as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, Yen! Then you help me mop the kitchen hah! hah!

      Delete
  12. Looks delicious, Phong Hong! Perfect pairing with nasi minyak! Must cook extra, extra rice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyce, as you can see I have abandoned my low carb diet. Food blogging is bad for the waistline :(

      Delete
  13. Phong Hong, your dishes always inspire me, so mouthwatering, comforting and so delicious! I can totally make this dish with your instructions and have all the ingredients at a 'moment's notice! I love chicken, and especially spicy, gingery and with a tomato based sauce. So inviting and perfect. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elisabeth, thank you for your compliments! I believe you will appreciate this dish as it has very good flavours. Goes really well with plain rice too.

      Delete
  14. like the word spicy.. my kind of word :) nice preparation..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, PT! I love anything spicy too :)

      Delete
  15. Hi Phong Hong! So this is the spicy version after I commented on the Kuzi Ayam? :D

    The chicken and rice dish looks really hearty and delicious. Gotta have supper now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alvin, this is different from Kuzi Ayam but just as delicious! Need loads of rice for this dish and I have to say goodbye to my low carb eating plan. But I am ok with it, no regrets hah! hah!

      Delete
  16. Great looking dish. I'd probably eat extra rice with this. Hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly, I had two helpings of rice and didn't even feel guilty. Something is seriously wrong with me :)

      Delete
  17. sounds good, looks appetising! i hv never tried ayam masak merah so i'm not sure as how it taste like. eh, i thought you said you want to cut down on carbs? no more diet mode??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lena, I surrender to the rice. And I have abandon my low carb diet, see how bad it is? Aiyah, fat, fatlah!

      Delete
  18. Bangnok pandai you ni this is one of my favourite dish.I cook slightly different from your's.It's nice to eat with nasi minyok.nampok sedapnya.next when I go back you must cook this for me to eat with nasi minyok.It's a deal OK?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ee-Ee, sure I will cook for you. With nasi minyak some more heh! heh!

      Delete
  19. Hi PH, this looks good and tastes good for sure. Was contemplating making it but gave it a pass because of the deep-frying part, lazy lah :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah, I also dread deep frying because not only does it make my kitchen oily, it also takes up a lot of time. But for this dish, I am willing to go through the trouble :)

      Delete
  20. phong hong your method of cooking the ayam masak merah is so susoh puloh I am not gajen like you.read the method already ka chiew nui does it take a long time to cook doesn't it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ee-Ee, actually can modify the method but I was just following the original recipe since this is my first time cooking it.

      Delete
  21. Just like you, I always go for the ayam masak merah in wedding receptions- they taste so much better than homemade, somehow! I love the way u present your dish with the rice, so nostalgic and makes me want to go for kenduri again:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jehanne, I guess when someone else does the cooking, it tastes better! I find that if I eat immediately after cooking a dish, I don't enjoy it as much. If I eat it a bit later after I have rested and relaxed, then only I will enjoy it :)

      Delete
  22. Omo...omo..(pstt tiru cakap Korea) nampak sunguh sedap.Petang ni nk pi cari beras basmati nk bikin nasi minyak jugak....musti musti bikin...omo omo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peminat drama Korea ni kot? Masaklah nasi minyak, jangan lupa ayam masak merah sekali. CM mesti tambah nasi malam ni hee..hee...

      Delete
  23. Looks delicious! The nasi minyak is calling me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, it is also still calling me hah! hah!

      Delete
  24. Hi Phong Hong,

    How would you tell if your ayam masak merah is Kelantan version? I have problems of identifying the originating states of Malaysian food and so that I always encountering problem participating MFF... *sign*

    In regardless of its origin, your ayam masak merah looks yummy!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoe, I am guessing here because it is very similar to Ayam Masak Merah. Since this recipe comes from Azie who is from Kelantan, I am sure that it is a Kelantan dish but can't be 100% certain that it is the cousin of Ayam Masak Merah hah! hah!

      Delete
  25. Dear,
    You have done an excellent job. This ayam masak masak pedas is a must have dish during wedding and other kenduri in my family

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Azie! It is a very tasty dish, I will definitely be cooking it again :)

      Delete
  26. Hi Phong Hong, your comfort meal sure taste heavenly. Look very scrumptious. Best to eat with hand. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amelia, eating with hand makes the food taste better!

      Delete
  27. Phong Hong,
    This AMP looks sedaplicious o!!
    Love the additional of chili sauces , must be lebih sedaplicious 😋
    mui

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mui mui, it was very sedap! Worth the trouble of cooking :)

      Delete