You must be wondering what was it that my grandmother did wrong. My grandmother called this dish Mistake but I think what she meant was Beefsteak.
This is one of my grandmothers dishes that I love. It is minced beef patties in a tomato based sauce. One of the ingredients in the sauce is a thick black sweet sauce peculiar to Terengganu. It is called "kayciap" and if I remember correctly, it is made from boiling the by product and leftovers from making "budu" (fermented fish). I know this sounds awful but this sauce is very nice. You don't have to use it and can substitute it with ABC sauce or kicap manis.
My Grandma's Mistake (Beefsteak)
For the meatballs :
- 500g minced beef
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 big onions, minced
- 2 tablespoons light soya sauce
- 1 tablespoons Worchestire sauce
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 6 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worchestire sauce
- 1 tablespoon soya sauce
- 2 tablespoons "kayciap" (or ABC sauce/kicap manis)
- 250ml water
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 1 big onion cut into wedges
- cloves garlic minced
- 3 potatoes cut into wedges and deep fried until golden brown
- 1 tomato cut into wedges
- 1 small can green peas
1. Mix all the meatball ingredients until well combined.
2. Put in the fridge for 30 minutes to firm up the mixture
3. Shape into patties and deep fry until cooked and golden brown
4. Combine sauce ingredients and set aside
4. Heat oil in a wok and fry big onion until wilted.
5. Add garlic and fry for about one minute
6. Add sauce and bring to a boil
7. When sauce is thick, add the fried meatballs, potato wedges, tomato and green peas and stir until all ingredients are coated with the sauce.
|Meatballs before frying. I made 16 patties.|
|Deep fry until cooked and golden brown.|
|Mix everything together.|