Sunday 1 July 2012

Butter Cake


I never liked Butter Cake until just recently. The Butter Cake from my childhood came from a local bakery. Though their bread was excellent, the Butter Cake was something else. It had a sickly sweet smell which came from rose essence or cheap vanilla essence. So I didn't have a very good impression of Butter Cake until I baked one myself. 

You see, my father loves Butter Cake (he is the one who buys  the horrible butter cake from the bakery) and I wanted to impress him with my new baking skill. My initial attempts were not very successful. My cake was too dense and it always cracked. I gave up for a while until I came across Mrs Ng's Butter Cake posted by Wendy. I must also mention another recipe posted by Tintin which is also pretty good.

Please go to Wendy's post to get Mrs Ng's recipe. I have experimented and made some adjustments. I must say that this recipe will be my go to recipe for Butter Cake. For once, my Butter Cake did not crack and it was incredible fluffy.

Butter Cake

Mixture A

250g butter at room temperature (I used Golden Churn)
80g fine sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I used pure vanilla)
4 egg yolks
2 tablespoons milk
200g self raising flour (sifted)

Mixture B

4 egg whites
80g fine sugar

Method :
1. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla essence.
2. Add egg yolks one at a time and mix well.
3. Add flour in three additions. In the first addition, add 1 tablespoon of milk. Mix on low speed until just incorporated. In the next addition, add in second tablespoon of milk and mix. Then add in last addition of flour. Do not over mix.
4. In another bowl, whisk egg whites and gradually add sugar. Whisk until stiff peaks.
5. Fold in 1/3 of egg whites into the butter mixture. Mix well and fold in the remaining egg whites.
6. Bake in 8" round pan at 160C for 50 minutes.

A word about the egg whites. I noted in Mrs Ng's and Tintin's recipe that the egg whites are beaten to soft peaks. I tried that but my cake did not turn out well as it sort of collapsed at the sides. 

And remember to level the cake batter and make a well in the center so that the cake rises evenly.

I must say that I am incredibly pleased with the butter cake I baked today. Many thanks to Mrs Ng and Wendy for kindly sharing the recipe. Also a word of thanks to Tintin.

Look, Ma! No cracks, just a couple of bumps.

Cut into 12 slices.

One piece for sampling by the cook.
Very fluffy cake.








37 comments:

  1. Butter cake & steamed egg cake were my fav childhood cakes& I'm looking for an excuse to make a butter cake now!You are such a good daughter!This cake looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessie! I made this a few times before getting it right.

      Delete
  2. Hi Phong Hong,

    WWWWoWWWW !!!!!

    Looks AAAwesome !!!

    Perfectly Presented Phon Hong :))))

    Thank yoyu for your regular visit to my blog and

    Keep on Phong Hong....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Yes, it is very moist and sangat fluffy.

      Delete
  4. butter cake always my favourite, but i try to cut down because the amount of butter used. But now look at your butter cake, i feel like want to make one immediately, hehehe..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sonia, I bake butter cake sekali sekala only, so I use the full amount of butter. Eat one piece only, the rest let family makan. That way, I spread out the fat, heh..heh..heh...

      Delete
  5. I love your fluffy and rich simple butter cske. The recipes is awesome! I was scrolling down and hoping to see an actual slice, and yumm, rich golden buttery goodnes...who would not love this lovely cake?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elisabeth, I took close up shots to show the fluffiness but the pictures were out of focus. When I wanted to reshoot, well, there wasn't anymore cake left!

      Delete
  6. Hi Phong Hong, your butter cake look so fluffy and buttery. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Love to have this with a cup of coffee. :)

    Have a nice day, regards.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooo...looks good. I love butter cakes - Golden Churn, no less...very buttery fragrant!!! Yummmm!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yummm....I finally learnt to appreciate pure butter.

      Delete
  8. Hi Phong Hong, since you want to give me the butter cake for my birthday, can I copy the 3rd picture and add in to my posting? Thanks in advance, really appreciate your birthday wishes.

    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amelia, sure, go ahead!

      Delete
    2. Hi Phong Hong, thank you for your delicious butter cake. I'd added in my posting.

      Have a nice day,regards

      Delete
    3. My pleasure, Amelia!

      Delete
  9. First time here . Lovely blog .
    check out my blog in ur spare time
    http://www.followfoodiee.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting. I will definitely check your blog.

      Delete
  10. Hi, i love butter cake. Your cake looks so fluffy. Is it moist?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Azie, yes it is moist and fluffy. Do try this recipe if you like butter cake.

      Delete
  11. good morning phong hong, i'm always happy when i see my cakes comes with no cracks, not everytime it happens! YOu've baked a beautiful one here!Actually i dont mind eating a not so fluffy butter cake as long as it tastes buttery..can i know are you using the GC block butter or from the can one?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Lena. I use the block butter. Previously I used Buttercup because there was a time when I couldn't stand the smell of pure butter (strange eh?). But now, I appreciate the difference and somehow love the smell.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I must comment that I like the look of your buttercake very much, mine too always cracked at the top, yours looks perfect! I noticed you cut down on your sugar a lot yet the cake still looks fine! Must try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeannie, my family dislike cakes that are too sweet. I find that most recipes use way too much sugar for our liking, so I cut it down. For this cake, the sweetness is just right. Hope you try this!

      Delete
  14. Hi,
    I found your blog last night and tried your butter cake recipe. Must say it was really good!! There were no cracks and the texture is very fine. Thank you for sharing

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yvonne! I am glad that your butter cake turned out beautifully. This recipe is a keeper :)

      Delete
  15. Hi, please can i double the recipe and make a bigger cake.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi

    Can I check u have use 4 egg for you butter and 5 egg for the marble cake? May I know it is possible to use 4 egg for marble?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should be ok to use 4 eggs. Hope it works out for you!

      Delete
  17. Hi, Your cake looks delicious. Can u advise me, can I add 2 tsp of coffee powder to the milk mixture as I am fans of coffee? Can I sprinkle some chopped walnut on top, do I need to tasted it first? Do u think it will be nice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, yes it is a good idea! I think it will turn out nice :)

      Delete
  18. Thank you Phoon Hong.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi! I've tried the recipe and failed a few times. The cake collapsed in the middle and the bottom of the cake is damp. Otherwise the cake tastes very good. May I know what did I do wrong? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That looks good!.. I’m a butter fanatic and I cannot wait to make this. It’s fat and calorie free, right? Thanks for the recipe.
    Painting Sacramento Website

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Phoon Hong
    Id ;love to try the butter cake. The eggs used are grade A or B?

    ReplyDelete