Friday 19 September 2014

Lemon Bars


These are my latest discovery. Lemons Bars. Yum personified. God! I could not stop at one or two or three.

Why are these Lemon Bars so irresistible? At the bottom is a layer of super buttery shortbread and at the top is a sweet, tangy and gooey lemony topping. One bite leads to another. And another. Look.


See that oozing lemony goodness? You can't say no to that. If you love lemons, you must have one of these.


I was actually searching for a recipe on Apple Bars when I stumbled upon these Lemon Bars on Joy of Baking. They looked very simple to make and I decided to give it a go. And got myself super addicted.


You don't need to use an electric mixer at all to make these Lemon Bars. The first time I made them, I used the mixer and like I said before, I hate washing the beaters. Batter sticks to it and it is really a hassle to wash.

When I made these bars the second time, I did it with a spatula and a whisk. They turned out really well and washing up was a breeze.


There is quite a fair bit of sugar that goes into the lemon filling. I would usually adjust the sugar content by about half but this time I did not, on account of the tartness of the lemon juice. The sweetness was just right to balance off the sourness of the lemon. But please, don't eat the whole tray. Share :)













Lemon Bars
Recipe source : Adapted from Joy of Baking

Ingredients for the Shortbread Crust :
- 113g unsalted butter at room temperature (I used 125g)
- 30g icing sugar
- 130g plain flour
- 1/8 tsp salt

Method :
1. Preheat oven to 160C.
2. Grease and line an 8" baking pan.
3. In a mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until creamy.
4. Add flour and salt and beat until the dough just starts to come together.
5. Transfer dough into baking pan and press the dough onto the bottom of the baking pan.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes until just lightly brown around the edges.
7. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack while you make the filling.

Ingredients for the Lemon Filling :
- 200g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 80ml fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest (I used zest from 2 small lemons)
- 25g plain flour

Method :
1. In a mixing bowl beat the sugar and eggs until sugar is dissolved and the mixture is smooth.
2. Add lemon juice and zest. Stir to combine.
3. Fold in the flour.
4. Pour the filling over the shortbread crust and bake for 20-25 minutes or just until the filling has set.
5. Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool.

To serve :
- Cut into squares.
- Dust with icing sugar.
- Best eaten on the day it is made but can be stored in the fridge for a day or two.

Note : I find that it still tastes very good even after it is refrigerated. I take it out to room temperature before eating.

56 comments:

  1. Looks so yummy. This recipe is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yannie! With all your gym workouts, you can afford a slice or two :)

      Delete
  2. Morning Phong Hong, wah, after I replied in SK's blog, I saw your update in my feed - lemon bars.. I straightaway click baby, coz lemon bars sounds so so so so good.. I am expecting the usual cheese cake or chocolate cake or roast chicken honestly, haha.. It looks so yummy and rich and creamy.. Like lemon custard sandwiched between two shortbread crust, yummmmzzz...Gonna bookmark this.. I have ALL the ingredients at home (except lemons, but I can go buy anytime).. Ok, done, I've already snapped your recipe using my phone camera..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louiz! So got try or not? hah..hah... I wanna make this again once I feel better :)

      Delete
  3. awww, looks so delicious and anything lemony is sure appetizing for me!! just love the zest and refreshing smell of lemons.. and haha, I gotta agree with you, with such bite size thing, they can be "dangerous" because once you popped you can't stop!! oh my~~ :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi SK! This one, if I did not control myself, I will eat the whole tray :D !

      Delete
  4. I could not stop at one or two or three or until the whole damn thing is gone! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hee..hee...That's was what I felt like doing :D

      Delete
  5. If i were to bake this, the whole thing will be gone in no time, hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sure love lemons until they are getting more costlier, hehehe!. I think it is in demand to make the 'heart' potion that has been circulating in the social media. Ginger prices have gone up and garlic isn't as cheap as before. These are the ingredients needed for making the potion said to clear blood clots in the arteries.....So many of my friends are making it. Very tempting lemons bars you have. Share some, lah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kimmy! I think I have read about that potion but I never tried lah. Of course, I would love to share these lemon bars with you!

      Delete
  7. Lemons are in demand nowadays.. I love to order lemon juice when I go to cafes..iced lemonade honey... hot honey lemon..they are alkali based so it is not surprising that in our own homes we put a piece of it into our normal drinking water.. :) And now you made lemon bars... oh my!! I would love to sink my teeth into them.. hahahaa..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claire! I also discovered that it is nice to squeeze some lemon juice into drinking water. Quite refreshing and it is supposed to be a liver cleanser.

      Delete
  8. Lemony desserts....a great sweet treats from Phong Hong! Must be good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I agree with you. Must share this. So please please share with me. Thanks! :)

    I love lemons too!

    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mun, good things are to be shared and that includes calories hah..hah...

      Delete
  10. Gee!!! I can even smell that from here! Wish I could try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This could be something that Melissa could whip up in a jiffy!

      Delete
  11. lemon flavor seems to be among your favorites lately:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Phong Hong, pass me 4 pieces please. This lemon bar look like to die for kind, AWESOME!
    Thanks for sharing.

    Best regards
    Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amelia! Help yourself please, but don't eat the whole tray LOL!

      Delete
  13. Hee hee ... Phong Hong, I also bookmarked this recipe but yet to bake. Agree with Kimmy that lemons are costly now .. these pretty lemon bars of yours sure tempting ... share share okay ^-^!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen! Yes, must share and share alike!

      Delete
  14. Hi Phong Hong, 'great minds think alike'...seriously! I thought at first I'm seeing double because, mine looked exactly like yours. I adore Lemon Bars, which I made last year when I was in Italy, and my Italian family loved it! So addictive and pure enjoyment...one of my most beloved bars. Yours turned out amazing, as well...just super droolworthy yummy!
    Here's my version from Southern Living

    http://foodandthriftfinds.blogspot.com/2013/06/luscious-lemon-barsand-more-of-italy.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elisabeth! Oh yes, I did remember your lemon bars. I do wish I could sample some of yours!

      Delete
  15. Looks good, ingredients also easy to get (I think all are inside my fridge :p).
    These days no time to bake already, hur hur T_T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hayley! When you have the time, you can bake this :)

      Delete
  16. This looks amazing! I rarely make baked goods with lemon, but I have no idea why! I love lemon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's time to bake with lemons, Cathleen!

      Delete
  17. Hi Phong Hong,
    I love, love, lemon bars! Yours looks really tempting!
    I have not made any in a long time. The last time I made, my visiting nephews ate a few slices and tapau the whole lot home!
    After looking at yours, I'm craving for them all over again! aiyoh... if got time, must make some!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joyce! You must revisit lemon bars. But don't say I didn't warn you hah..hah... share!

      Delete
  18. I've seen a lot of lemon bars posts over the years & always wanted to try them but no chance. Looks like some pretty decent work here, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shirley! You must try it lah. Quite easy to out together and so, so good to eat!

      Delete
  19. although i ;ve not attempted lemon bars before, i know i will love it. At one time, hv been seeing quite a number of lemon bars one after another, i think in one of the CLAS event but nvr get to do it too. wait la, all have to bookmark first...LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lena, one day you must try this. I bet you will bake it again and again!

      Delete
  20. i want i want i want ..gonna make this...simple enough and i love lemon

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh no Phong Hong! This is so irresistible!! I love lemon and this lemon bars is so so tempting. Thanks for sharing and regards :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ivy! Make this your next project hee..hee...

      Delete
  22. OMG Phong Hong, I love love love lemon!! I won't be able to stop eating these!

    ReplyDelete
  23. PH, by looking at your lemon bars photo, can already tell that it is very appetizing. The bite size will make me pop it non stop into my mouth....... aiyo! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yen! hah..hah...that's what I did. Eat and eat and I had to stop myself LOL!

      Delete
  24. Hi Phong Hong, WOW! I'm droooling over this lemony bars of your leh ! Looks so sedap-licious & heavenly .... YUM! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Phong Hong,
    I love lemon bars. Now you are making me craving for it.
    This is my hubby's favorite too :)
    mui

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi mui mui! So we are lemon bars fans! When I get better, I want to eat this again hah..hah...

      Delete
  26. Oh my.......this looks very tempting !
    Wish I can have it now. Too bad I am not your neighbor :(
    Anyway, thanks for sharing this, PH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aunty Young, try this when you can. Very sedap!

      Delete