Saturday 5 January 2013

Chili Bean Sauce Roasted Chicken


I was craving for a honey roasted chicken so I mixed some  crushed garlic, honey, soya sauce and fish sauce for the marinade. In a moment of madness I decided to add some chili bean sauce (toban djan). I don't know why I did that, perhaps I was trying to be clever. After mixing the concoction, I immediately regretted it as it smelled very pungent. I had to do something. I could just toss the marinade out and start over but not being one to waste, I figured that ginger might help to lift that heavy smell. And I was right.


But still, it smelled quiet strong. I proceeded to marinate the chicken anyway as I remember, some marinades do transform once they are cooked. A good example being the yogurt based marinade I used for this Roast Chicken which smelled very sour at the outset but became very aromatic once the chicken was roasted.



I left the chicken to marinate overnight and the next day I took it out of the fridge for it to come to room temperature. It took slightly more than 2 hours before I proceeded to roast the chicken.

About 20 minutes into roasting, a lovely aroma greeted me when I entered the kitchen. There was a hint of honey and some other aromas I could not describe. Phew! Thank goodness the marinade worked out, or else I would be stuck with a weird smelling and tasting chicken.



Another thing that I do with the chili bean sauce is to use it by itself to marinate chicken pieces for a few hours and then steam the chicken. I garnish with spring onions before serving. 










Chili Bean Sauce Roasted Chicken
Recipe source : Phong Hong in a moment of madness

- 1 whole chicken
- 4 cloves of garlic (pounded)
- 1/2 inch ginger (pounded)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon light soya sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili bean sauce
- 1 tablespoon oil

Method :
1. Clean the chicken and drain (or pat dry)
2. Pound or run the garlic and ginger through a garlic press.
3. In a mixing bowl add pounded garlic, ginger, honey, soya sauce, fish sauce, chili bean paste and oil. Mix well.
4. Place chicken into a freezer bag/plastic bag and pour in marinade and seal the bag.
5. Move the chicken around to spread the marinade evenly all over the chicken.
6. Place chicken in the chiller for at least 4 hours or preferably overnight.
7. Before roasting, take the chicken out and bring it to room temperature.
8. Preheat oven to 180C
9. Place chicken breast side down into a baking tray lined with aluminum foil.
10. Roast the chicken for about 40 minutes to an hour, basting every 15 minutes with the juices in the roasting pan.
9. Turn the chicken over after 30 minutes and continue to roast until golden brown and cooked through.

62 comments:

  1. Hello Phong Hong,
    Roasting chicken no matter what ingredients we added in to marinate do always came out looking delicious. And most of all what I like this is because this recipe was sourced out a moment of madness from Phong Hong's Kitchen! hee...hee... It sure looks very yummy and delicious, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mel, hee..hee..luckily it turned out good :)

      Delete
  2. Hi PH! Sometimes a moment of madness could turn into something great in the kitchen, isn't it? Just trust your instint (or madness)!

    Good looking chicken!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alvin! Something like Van Gogh, eh?

      Delete
  3. thoroughly impressed with you spur of madness :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been having mad spells lately, hah! hah!

      Delete
  4. It looks very sedap yum-yum.I just love anything cook with taupancheong.Is there any left over I am back in KL now.If ther is I will go over to Yum-Yum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aloh! makang semua tok simpang sedit kasi aku .Tulang tulang pun tok apa asai boleh Makang Lain kali jagan lupa aku Mesti ingat ingat

      Delete
    2. EE, tulang mana boleh makang? You try this recipe and let me know if it is good or not.

      Delete
  5. Your roasted chicken looks so delicious! Love the very golden appetizing colour! I would go for the wings first, my favourite parts, it would have all the delicious marinade right up to the tip! Only a true chef could "smell trouble" and make it right! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyce, can do this for just chicken wings. Hmmm....I like chicken wings too, so will have my chicken wings binge soon :)

      Delete
  6. Mmm... looks so yummy, perfect for this cooling, wet weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheah, I think can add some chillies to up the hotness because the chilli bean paste is not hot enough :)

      Delete
  7. I have soft corner for chicken dishes...and it just got softer after seeing your roasted chicken! OMG!!! Salivating ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW... i made roasted chicken also for New Year that day.. Makan besar gitu..

    yours are very shining la my dear... copy & paste d recipe ya..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roast chicken senang dan sedap! Silakan, boleh copy, no problem!

      Delete
  9. Hi Phong Hong, this roasted chicken looks so yummy and it's good that you did highlight the negative points about the chilli bean paste. I agree it is too pungent that I prefer to concoct my own with ginger added.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimmy, first time I smelled the bean paste, I thought it was a bit smelly :) But after I used it for steamed chicken, I liked it. I think it is also nice as a dip.

      Delete
  10. looks so good! the color is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alice! Hope you try it sometime :)

      Delete
  11. It looks delicious! That was a great way to use to chili bean sauce!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really delicious and I highly recommend it :)

      Delete
  12. Wow...A nice juicy roast chicken with sticky honey!
    oh it's so beautiful~~~
    i am in a moment of madness with you now,hahaha...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! Hah! Let's go mad over roasted chicken!

      Delete
  13. Fantastic results from a moment of madness rescued with a spark of brilliance!

    ReplyDelete
  14. menu ayam? kata nak tayang kek chiffon.. mananya? hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kek cipon tu tak menjadi, kepek! Sakit hati betul hee..hee...PH akan cuba lagi, sabar ye?

      Delete
  15. Happy 2013 to you, Phong Hong!

    Sorry that I was laughing out loud when I read your recipe source being "Phong Hong in a moment of madness" You are so cute saying this :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy 2013, Zoe! Laughter is always good :)

      Delete
  16. Oooo...that looks sooo good! I've seen the sauce in the shops. Must grab a bottle to try this out soonest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arthur, you must try it. It is so simple to make the marinade and the chicken tasted so good :)

      Delete
  17. Hi Phong Hong, your chicken is really making my mouth water!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mich, why don't you go grab a bottle of chilli bean sauce and make this roast chicken :)

      Delete
  18. I LOVE chicken cooked in this way!! I ate it some years ago in Bangkok and I have never forgotten it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Francesca! Glad you have tried a similar dish and liked it :)

      Delete
  19. wow dear.. its so tempting..

    ReplyDelete
  20. i never roasted anything with touban jian. so this mad combination really works!! Your moment of madness recipe will soon be generating others to follow suit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lena, I hope all of you get a chance to try this recipe because I think it turned out rather delicious!

      Delete
  21. Sounds delicious to me! Now I need to go pick up a jar of chili bean sauce. Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, get adventurous and check it out!

      Delete
  22. Wow, such a gorgeous chicken! I'm so glad it was a success...it looks magnificent!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lizzy! I was quite relieved that it turned out so well. It could have been a disaster but wasn't :)

      Delete
  23. nampak sedaplah ayam ni phong... dah lama tak bakar ayam...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Luckily you proceed otherwise we will not know your madness and special marinate sauces, ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! Hah! Sometimes it's good be a bit "siao"!

      Delete
  25. simple recipe but looks great! loved the use of so many kinds of sauces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Swasthi, I like to do mixing of sauces. Just like a lab experiment hah! hah!

      Delete
  26. Farnie la you, PH! Your moment of madness produced a great product heehee. I love toban jiang, always ask for it whenever i eat at esquire kitchen. Must try this mad recipe and see how good it is haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Esther, do try it! I used to have the toban jiang at Esquire Kitchen too. I have not been there for quite a long time because after the new management took over, the food does not taste as good :(

      Delete
  27. so delicious!!! i think, if my husband could get it , he would have finished the total chicken by himself..
    http://from-a-girls-mind.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Krishna! Then you must roast this chicken for your hubby :) I took a peek at your blog and it is very interesting. I love arts and crafts too but don't have much time to indulge in it. Will pay you another visit soon. Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  28. Mmmmmm.......should b yummy.....looks like it will tinggal tulang in a few seconds la

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, you must try it! Everybody will sapu very fast :)

      Delete
  29. Phong Hong,
    I like your roasted chicken from your madness experience ...LOL
    It's looks really appetizing ! I would like to have the drumstick. Yummy sauces outside and juicy inside..yum yum
    mui

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mui Mui, I hope that you try this recipe. The chicken tasted very good, and it is not pedas at all :)

      Delete