Friday 5 July 2013

Pineapple and Mango Jam Roasted Belly


Excuse, arrrrrr.......this is my "chin chai simply hantam" version of roasted pork belly. All because I didn't know what to do with this jar of Pineapple and Mango jam.



Do you buy things on impulse? You go to the supermarket, see something interesting and you grab it without a clue what you are going to do with it. That happens to me a lot.



I was rolling around at 99 Speedmart a few weeks before Chinese New Year when I spotted that jar of St Dalfour's Pineapple and Mango jam. It looked nice, I mean the bottle. And two of my favourite fruits combined in a jam, how could I resist? Never mind that I have stopped eating bread/toast and what on earth am I going to do with the jam? Brain switched off, I just grabbed it and paid a small fortune (by my accountant's standard, lah. Might be cheap for the rest of you) for that very slim jar of jam. 



And as usual, that jar of jam sat on my pantry like some decorative item for a few weeks until I decided to open it and have a taste. Yum! I knew I would love it but then what? What am I going to do with it now? Heh..heh...enter pork belly. Why not, I thought? A fruity marinade using jam? I remember Wendy did a Kumquat Roasted Pork Belly but of course she made her own kumquat sauce.



Thus began my experiment. This is my fifth attempt (and second bottle of jam) and I must say that this is the best one so far. The meat was tender, juicy and very tasty after 48 hours of marinating. I love the marinade as it was sweet and fruity with  a refreshing gingery undertone. 


An earlier attempt. A little bit dry.

The pork rind has to be removed because it becomes tough and chewy (yes, I chewed on it). This is not siew yok where the rind becomes crispy and crackly. I find it hard to cut off the rind when the belly is raw and chose to leave it on and remove it after roasting. The roasted pork is very good in a salad. Also very nice served with rice.



To my Muslim friends, I know the main ingredient is haram for you but if you do come in, please take the marinade ingredients with you. Use it with chicken wings, drumsticks or whole chicken legs. I have tried the marinade with chicken wings and they turned out very well.

Let's see, I still have that apricot jam in the pantry and I'm off now to my next experiment....












Pineapple and Mango Jam Roasted Pork
Recipe Source : Phong Hong

Ingredients :
-  2 strips pork belly (you can remove the rind now or after roasting)

For the marinade :
- 3 big cloves garlic, finely pounded
- 2" ginger, finely pounded
- 3 tablespoons pineapple and mango jam
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons Thai chilli sauce
- 4 tablespoons light soya sauce
- 4 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar

Method :
1. Mix all the marinade ingredients.
2. Place pork belly strips into a freezer bag and pour in the marinade.
3. Using your hands, squeeze the bag to distribute the marinade evenly to cover the pork belly.
4. Keep in the fridge to marinate overnight. (I have tried marinating for 48 hours)
5. Before roasting, take the marinated pork belly out of the fridge to come to room temperature.
6. Line baking tray with heavy duty aluminium foil.
7. Place pork belly in a single layer on the tray and cover the baking tray with another piece of aluminium foil.
8. Roast covered at 180C for 45 minutes. Increase temperature to 200C and remove aluminium cover. Continue roasting for another 15 to 20 minutes, and baste with the residual marinade from time to time. Flip the meat after 10 minutes and continue to roast and baste until the residual marinade is thick and meat is slightly charred.
9. Let the roasted meat rest for 30 minutes before slicing and serving.



Photobucket

This post is linked to the event, Little Thumbs Up organised by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids and Doreen of My Little Favourite DIY and hosted by Alvin of Chef and Sommelier

51 comments:

  1. Looks so yummy Only wish I can eat it I just finish my dinner wow! see your roast pork makes me lau nyiour titek titek .If I have seen your roast earlier I would have bought the jam when I went to New World supermarket to buy pork belly for tomorrow's dinner.sob!sob! too late I have to marinate it tonight SO SAD!! makes me want to cry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EE, you can try it the next time you buy pork. Guarantee you will love it!

      Delete
  2. from time to time I am also buying their jams:) this is globalization:)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ola, the St Dalfour jams are good quality and I love them!

      Delete
  3. Hi Phong Hong, wow everything is nice about this post, your ideas, experiments and of course the yummy roasted pork.. The way it is cut is so pro..and I can see the meat and fat layers which is so tempting. Can share some ah? In fact, I have bookmarked many of your roast meat recipes to do but I'm busy with some ad hoc commitments beyond my control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kimmy! If you are my neighbor I will sure send some over for you to try. I have also bookmarked quiet a number of your recipes especially on pau. But so far my pau never got off the ground!

      Delete
  4. Hi Phong Hong, this pineapple mango jam is awesome but marinate with pork belly.... lagi taste heavenly. It look absolutely delicious. So can I come over for dinner? :))

    Best regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amelia, yes you can come for dinner but today only got fried eggs hah! hah! Have a nice weekend :)

      Delete
  5. hi sis,,'i aways love to sneak into your
    block(blog),to search for belly goodis cooked
    food,and especialy your anyhow hantam recipes
    always come out make people belly bigger n
    not smaller,,haha,,thanks--kisha--sg,,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kisha! Thank you and please come over more often :)

      Delete
  6. ivy sew http://simplybeautifulhealthyliving.blogspot.com5 July 2013 at 15:57

    Phong Hong, this is great! I am also one of those buying things on impulse! So now I know what to do with those jams or leftover fresh fruits! Thanks for sharing this yummy recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ivy, I got a few more things sitting in my pantry. Maybe I should do a post on all my white elephants sitting in the pantry hah! hah!

      Delete
  7. Hey, your experiment did give you good result. I can imagine the taste of that yummy looking siew yoke! Thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cheah! Took me a few attempts to get it right.

      Delete
  8. I have the same problem - I simply love the bottle and always end up with pineapple an mango. But, but I only eat peanut butter toast! LO ! The cycle repeats when I finally managed to use it up somehow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! Hah! I am not alone. I think it would be nice as filling for cakes and tarts.

      Delete
  9. look so mouthwatering, but I dun like fatty meat, perhaps I give a try with chicken or pork loin :) I like that jam, too, but yes, it's rather ex considering the weight but it's good for my diabetic daddy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alice! Yah, try it with chicken wings. Very nice!

      Delete
  10. That looks sooooooo good!!! Yum! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like how the color is and the meat looks tender. Well done and happy cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am drooling at your roast pork belly, great to idea to use fruit jam to marinate it, look so yummy !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sonia! Now I can buy some more jam hee..hee...

      Delete
  13. I m first time hearing that jam can be marinade with pork belly, got to try this next time. yours looks very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. xing hui, I wasn't sure at first whether it was a good idea but it turned out very nice!

      Delete
  14. WOW! I can't stop drooling over your roasted pork... Must try this one day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, I hope you try it and let me know how it goes!

      Delete
  15. Thumbs up for your delicious experiments! A creative and wonderful way of using jam! Serve me a plate of your pork belly, and I will hantam every piece! Haha!
    Hope you have a lovely and delicious weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyce, I hantam quite a few pieces too and after that felt so guilty hah! hah!

      Delete
  16. Hi Phong Hong! Thanks for your 2nd contribution to this month's LTU!

    I love pork belly! Any style! Yours looks very yummy! I'm sure the sweet jam balances the other savoury ingredients well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Alvin! I was thinking of your siew yoke and char siew when I made this hee..hee...

      Delete
  17. Wow, simply hantam also came out looking so so so delicious. And using jam part of marinating gives an alternative way for an extra flavour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel, I was very happy that I finally put the jam to good use. Or else it would be wasted.

      Delete
  18. this looks so good!I think we are adik beradik now, I also always buy thing without thinking what I am going to do with it..like to stock up before a war, and it sleep in the kitchen, most of them expired before I have a chance to use it and it goes into the bin, so you are better you make good use of it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie, high five! I have also thrown away expired spices, sauces, beans etc, etc. So wasteful, so now I try not to do that but I still find expired stuff in the pantry.

      Delete
    2. Yes, when seeing supermarket doing offers and think it would be worth to buy stuff during offer,,,but then...not using it and ended up wasting more money..

      Delete
  19. Dropping by to say hi. Yes pork is not for us but the marinade *sounds* interestingly different from what I used to do. Tq

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi makcikkantin! I will post my chicken wings using this marinade later. Thanks for coming over!

      Delete
  20. Phong Hong, pork belly has to be the best and most tender part of the pig. Just love what you created with just a jar of pineapple-mango jam; that reminds me, when I will be making my mango jam next month is to incorporate it with pineapple.

    I am salivating and totally getting hungry to just have even a bite of your tender and super delicious pork belly. Such a pretty presentation, as well! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elisabeth! Wow, I wish I could taste your mango jam and if you add pineapple to it it will be so awesome.

      Delete
  21. St dalfour's has some of the very unique flavours and creating a roast out of it was smart :) Looks finger licking good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have also used it to make salad dressing. Hmmm...I should do a post on that too :)

      Delete
  22. PH, your roast pork looks VERY good! Moist and tender. I like the combination marinade, something different. Ad i love the idea of using it in a salad - all your talk about low carb diet has influenced me d; i've been trying very hard to keep to some sort of a low carb diet for the past week heehee. This idea is going onto my carb free list :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Esther! Thanks for the compliments! Ah, I see you are catching on to the low carb eating plan. It is really effective for weight loss :)

      Delete
  23. Oh!!! What a good idea of using jam for roasted porks!!! You're very clever, Phong Hong :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Phong Hong,

    I'm also an impulse buyer too... Now I'm curbing my bad habit by using a shopping list. Glad that this helps.

    Nevertheless, nice that your impulse purchase has lead you to this delicious creation. Never judge impulse buyers... we can be creative too :p

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoe, I make a list too but still deviate sometimes hah! hah! But you are right, we can get creative and come up with yummy stuff :)

      Delete
  25. Sobs...you are making me hungry all over sgsin.adui me nit creative like you .Every time eat as it is. Never thought of having it this way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can experiment mah next time. Just get the jam and then you can make your own style char siew hee..hee...

      Delete