Saturday, 29 August 2026

Gepuklah. Better The Second Time Around.

On my way to deliver mum's lunch I saw that the queue at Gepuklah was not too bad.

By that, I meant the queue was up to Kian Huat (their immediate neighbor).

So I told myself, if the queue is not too long by the time I pass by after the lunch drop off, I will get into the queue hah..hah...hah...


This was around 10:10 am. The queue was slightly past Kian Huat (still OK). After 10:30 am, one of Gepuklah's crew came outside to take orders. 


I was very pleased that I was among the first batch to get in. I was seated right beside the cashier counter. There is an advantage of being a lone diner as most people come in groups of 3 or more.


It was a bit cramped but it was all right. That was 11:16 am. So much for getting in early, the kitchen was (way) behind schedule.


Many of us were still not served past 11:30 am.


This Ham Leng Chat was served 11:38 am. The flavors were intense - salty, sour and sweet, much better than the one I had on my first visit.

As I was waiting, a gentleman from the queue outside came in to make an announcement. He was like (and I am paraphrasing) "Those of you who have already finished please make way for others who are waiting, The queue is very long".

I can understand his sentiments. But we were not served yet.


My kobis goreng was served 12:00 pm. 


I ordered extra sambal gajus while waiting for the ayam gepuk. Past 12:00 pm I asked one of the servers about my order. 


I spotted the boss at the counter. 


I noticed that there were jars of ham leng chat fermenting in glass jars.


Finally at 12:12 pm, my ayam gepuk was served. Almost an hour after being seated. This time it looked better.

Just before this came to the table, one of the servers offered to make me a fresh serving of kobis goreng and I appreciated the gesture.


The cabbage is caramelized and yes, I thought this is a good accompaniment to the ayam gepuk.


The bayam goreng is pretty good too, crispy, and I may get this as a side order next time (yes, already planning to come back again LOL!).


I was naughty and requested for another sambal gajus and an extra serving of rice woohoo!!


I coated the fried chicken with the sambal gajus.


So good! More sambal applied to the rice and finish off with a squeeze of kicap manis. Heaven!


As I was in food ecstasy, Ming Chun (the boss) came by to say hello. I told him how much I loved his Ham Leng Chat and of course the ayam gepuk, except that the service that day was not up to their usual standards.

Apparently they ran out of cooking oil and the supplier was late in delivering. Whoever in charge of kitchen supplies deserves a spanking hah..hah...


I was out of there at 12:36 pm. By then the queue went past their neighbor.


It went all the way down the block.


Until Ah Maas Taiwan Rice Roll.


By the way, Halla Holla at this location has closed and they are reopening in September at Atria.


Well, I was very happy because this time I was able to really enjoy Gepuklah's ayam gepuk and I can say that yes, it is worth the queue.

My strategy (I can do this because I pass by almost daily) is to come just past 10:00am (when the queue is not too long) and being a lone diner, the chances of getting a seat is quite good (if you are among the first batch of diners and assuming most diners have more than 2 in their party).

1 comment:

  1. I am happy 😊 that you enjoyed your meal after such a long wait, dear PH.
    They ran out of cooking oil?
    Oops 😬 😛

    ReplyDelete