Tuesday, 28 July 2026

Nyonya Style Nasi Kerabu

As they say, never trust pretty photos, right?


Well, I was convinced by the promotional photos. I have been to Kakatoo before and was OK with the Nasi Kerabu back then. Not wowed and not disappointed either.


So why not revisit after all these years?


I ordered the Kopi O (no sugar).


But it tasted faintly sweet >.< but I did not complain.


This was their Nyonya Style Nasi Kerabu.


There is blue tinted rice, fried chicken, satay, keropok, salted duck egg (under the keropok), kerisik (dessicated coconut), raw cabbage (topped with sambal belacan), Nyonya acar, a coconut based sauce and a deep fried ang koo kueh.


I don't want to sound like a fussy (Nyonya) auntie but I was underwhelmed by this nasi kerabu. I might have enjoyed my first experience better.


But this, I liked a lot. 


My late grandmother used to pan fry leftover ang koo kueh and if you have never tried that, you should. It tastes even better fried hah..hah...

Well, I guess I might not come back. Clearly they have their fans since they are still around after all these years. Good for them.


That morning. Very early.


Sound asleep. I wish I could sleep like a cat.


Jia yu!

18 comments:

  1. Wah, Girl 🐈😺 so syiok 😻😽got big sofa to sleep πŸ’€ on. Nice πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ™‚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! She loves to snooze on the sofa.

      Delete
  2. Good morning 🌞
    Fried ang ku? I have never tried it. I wonder πŸ€” do they sell the fried ang ku one by one. If yes, I could just buy one to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can buy one ang ku and get your hubby to fry it for you.

      Delete
    2. πŸ˜‚ aiyor heat up the wok just for one angku ? No way πŸ˜‚

      Delete
  3. Did u say kosong for Kopi o? Kopi o means no milk, it will have sugar. If don't want sugar, have to specify Kopi o kosong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did but dunno why it was a bit sweet, maybe kitchen made mistake. But when I drank it after the meal, it did not taste sweet.

      Delete
  4. Have a good day 🌞
    Enjoy your walk and smell the flowers 🌹🌸

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It so happened I came back from a short walk. LOL!

      Delete
  5. Hi dear PH, the meme at the end of your post...I say, πŸ™ Amen.
    The chicken leg looks very tasty. I have never heard of, or seen, blue πŸ€” rice...that is until I read this post and looked at your photos.
    Cats are amazing. Just watching a sleeping cat makes me relax. And yes, I wish I could sleep like that as well.
    Thank you so much for sharing, dear friend. 😘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen indeed! The rice is stained using blue pea flower. Cats sleep a lot and I wish I had time to do like them hah..hah...

      Delete
  6. Ah girl look so plump hereπŸ˜„ such a cute fatty bom bom. Seldom can find nasi kerabu in my area here. Last time around my ex-office area got alot and was dirt cheap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hee..hee... she is my adorable fatty bom bom. I wished that there is a good nasi kerabu place at my area.

      Delete
  7. Ages since I have nasi kerabu. Not easy to find here. Yours looked good and pretty but sorry to heard it wasn't to your liking or expectation. Like what I experienced before, first time always taste better. Maybe we expect more. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here also hard to find really good ones.

      Delete
  8. That looks nothing like an ang koo kueh (until I saw the filling inside)....if you had not told me, I would think it was some sort of a potato croquette thingy. I happen to love ang koo kueh also because of the mung bean paste filling...but has never tried pan-frying them (for better taste as you mentioned) coz there were never any leftovers to begin with...lol! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Ya, I love ang koo kueh and you will not find leftovers in my house either hee..hee... In Terengganu, we have those big ang koo kueh (when I was a kid) for prayers. Grandma kept extras in the fridge and when it was time to eat, she pan fried to warm them up. Those were what I looked forward to and my mum has the same memories of fried ang koo kueh.

      Delete