Friday 23 February 2018

Leftovers Salad with Lemony Dressing


When I go to Salad Atelier, I have to tick the ingredients that I want in my salad. How many I can have depends on the size of the salad - Baby Salad, Adult Salad or Monster Salad.

There is a whole list of salad ingredients ranging from the obvious - salad greens, carrots, cucumbers and tomatoes to things like beans, rice, pasta, seaweed, tofu, edamame, smoked duck, poached chicken and a whole lot of other stuff.



One day I had a bit of leftover salad leaves, a sausage, roasted potatoes and cherry tomatoes. There are no rules in a salad right?  As long as you have a killer dressing, you can toss together whatever ingredients in a bowl to make an awesome salad.


One of my favorite dressings involves the juice of a lemon. And there has got to be garlic in there, not too much as to give me  killer garlic breath but enough for that garlicky taste that I love. 


Make big batch and simply store the dressing in a bottle. When you need to toss a salad, just give the bottle and good shake and you are all set.


That made a grand (healthy) meal. One big bowl of carbs, proteins and greens. A nice change from all the heavy eating during Chinese New Year.

Lemony Vinaigrette
Recipe source : Phong Hong
Note : There are no hard and fast rules to a dressing. Convention tells you 1 part vinegar to 3 parts oil, but you can vary the ratio like I did.

Ingredients :
- juice of one lemon
- 6 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 big clove of garlic
- 6 tbsp olive oil

Method :
1. In a mortar and pestle, pound garlic, peppercorns and salt to form a paste.
2. Remove the pounded garlic into a bowl and add honey, lemon juice and vinegar. Stir to mix and adjust to taste.
3. Add olive oil, stir and pour the whole lot into a glass bottle. Give a vigorous shake to emulsify the mixture.
4. Can be stored in the fridge for 5 days.

Note : Another method which I now favor is to put everything (after pounding the garlic, peppercorns and salt) into a blender and giving the dressing a whizz. That emulsifies the dressing beautifully. It will separate after a while in the fridge but just bring out to room temperature and give the bottle a good shake.


27 comments:

  1. Hehe yup, I also add anything I like in my salad.. only the dressing is the same everytime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I tend to use my favorite dressing all the time.

      Delete
  2. I have been eating like a glutton for the past 10 days from pre-CNY till CNY festive days. I think I have put on 2kgs. So this salad is a nice welcome sight for me to eat healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, my pants so tight! Time to slow down and eat healthy :)

      Delete
  3. Wouldn't one tart ingredient (either lemon juice or red wine vinegar) be enough for tartness? I've never used red wine vinegar but now I'm tempted to go look for one. I used to use the same olive oil brand as the one you showed. Hmmm, never crossed my mind to make a big batch of dressing and store it in the fridge. This kind of dressing is much healthier than those thick-type bottled ones for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to mix vinegar and lemon more for the taste, though both contribute to the tartness. Sometimes I also mix two types of vinegars :)

      Delete
  4. Your salad sure is delicious especially with a citrusy dressing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it! Can eat a big bowl every time.

      Delete
  5. How nice if I were your neighbour, can take order from you ..

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks good. Bet it with be nicer with the salad toppers I have in my blogpost today. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, salad toppers bring it to another level!

      Delete
  7. I love this salad. Citrus dressing is very appetizing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me eat more salad and it is a good thing.

      Delete
  8. You are right to say that there are no rules in a salad, i am tempted to make my own salad after reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My salad will have eggs, cucumber, baby tomato, lettuce, ham, sausages and raisins hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  10. Leftovers salads (stews, soups) are the best in my opinion :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waste not! That's my new philosophy :)

      Delete
  11. I think I can eat a big, big bowl of salad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you can! I do it all the time hah..hah...

      Delete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I used to have salad very often when I don't have my own kitchen to cook but now I prefer hot food LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With kitchen, definitely you would want hot food :)

      Delete
  14. Love those colours, dear! xoxo

    ReplyDelete