Thursday 18 January 2018

We Overate Again


It was a Saturday and my brother and I had an early movie date. Our show was at 10:25am - Insidious : The Last Key. Yup, a horror movie, best watched in the morning hee..hee...

Before the movie, we had a light snack at Cafecito@MBO Starling. I had a chicken sandwich while my brother had chicken pie and a latte. Opps..I forgot to snap a pic. But the food was unmemorable, so it was just as well.

We were the only people in the cinema hall, so I could yell all I liked hee..hee... There were a few scares and I was glad my brother did not go to the loo (I think he tahan for my sake) or else I would have been left  all alone.

After the movie, we were hungry. Very hungry. We wanted to check out Anneh which is occupying the space where Epicuro used to be. But it was closed. Closed on a Saturday? Or closed for good? Upon checking their FB, apparently there are relocating and revamping their menu.

So we ended up at Vicchuda, a no frills restaurant serving Thai food. Vicchuda has been around in Damansara Uptown for a very long time. I have passed by many times and it is packed on weekends at dinner especially during the fasting month.

I let my brother take charge of the order and these were the dishes that we had :


Tom Yam Udang (prawn tom yam). Very nice and tangy but the soup was sweet. Not the natural kind of sweet coming from the ingredients, but sweet as in added sugar.


It came with a ladle, two soup spoons and two stainless steel bowls.


The food here comes in 5 sizes as denoted by price. For instance the tom yum comes in RM6.00/RM11.00/RM16.50/RM22.00/RM27.50 portions. We chose the smallest size (except for beef) since we ordered six dishes.


The Sayur Kailan Ikan Masin (kailan fried with salted fish) was very tasty topped with crispy salted fish. Did you notice a sprinkling of whitish powder on the vegetables?

I only noticed it when editing the photos. It was also present at the side of the tom yam bowl and all the other dishes. I doubt if it is pepper and I reckon it is some sort of powdered seasoning.


The Daging Goreng Kicap (beef fried in soya sauce) was not too bad, though the beef was a bit on the tough side. Not an outstanding dish but enjoyable nevertheless.


The Udang Goreng Tepung (battered fried prawns) was a major let down. The batter was soft and soggy. I would have expected it to be crispy and crunchy. But nope, it was not. So when I ate the second prawn, I removed the batter.


The Pucuk Paku Belacan (fern fried with shrimp paste) was pretty good. I enjoyed this a lot.


Our perennial favorite - Siakap Goreng Tiga Rasa (sweet and sour sea bass) did not disappoint. But alas, we were too full to finish it. My brother was the first to throw in the towel. I ate a bit more and whipped out my trusty container hee..hee.. That would take care of my dinner.


For drinks, my brother had the Carrot Biasa (carrot juice without milk) while I had Kopi O (black coffee). The carrot juice was rather diluted (so was the coffee) and very sweet. 


Rice is served in this big container. We only had a serving each, thank you. 



We were also served with this air asam (tamarind juice) and a few slices of cucumber as ulam (raw vegetable side dish).

I would say that the food here is decent but not outstanding.  Total cost was RM100.50. When I got home, I experienced an unquenchable thirst which I attribute to excess msg.  I also experienced a drop in energy and felt sleepy and lethargic. 

Due to the ill effects I suffered, I won't be coming back. 

26 comments:

  1. Yes, I heard that Thai dishes overseas are sweet to suit the taste of the locals, the add-some-sugar kind of sweet. We have one here and I did not like it - I hear the chef worked in Australia before.

    I like the tiga rasa fish too but I do think this place you went to needs to work on their presentation. Sure does not come across as a Thai place, their dishes always look so nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, the plating and presentation is quite shoddy.

      Delete
  2. Oh good! You have your trusty container with you. Thanks for your warning, I will not try this place because I also suffer ill effects after eating food with msg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better don't go as you will regret it. When eating, it's good but the after effects is devastating.

      Delete
  3. I have noticed that powder before when I have Malay-style Thai food, seasoning I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to watch at MBO Starling but their air con is always too cold even a hot buffalo like me would shiver! My wife would be wearing her winter jackets inside. Hee hee!

    This word is funny "the food was unmemorable"... Only Ah Hong Chee has funny vocabs. I am still learning from you.

    When Tom Yam soups are sweet, the chef is definitely a "Thai Paktai" chef who hails from the Southern Thailand like Yala, Narathiwat & Patani provinces. The Bangkok Tom Yam are all very sour and spicy hot that burn your eyes to see angels playing harps in the smoky clouds. The Tom Yam from Chiengmai-style are all very messy looking like our Chinese Kiam Chai Boey! I am sharing what mum taught me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are the Thai food expert so I shall take your word for it!

      Delete
  5. When I noticed that white powder sprinkled on every dish (except the fried prawns coz that one they couldn't do it!), I knew it had to be some kind of seasoning powder aka msg. 6 dishes shared by 2...you guys are the champs! O_o Hmmm, somehow a Thai restaurant without pork neck doesn't quite do it for me...hehe! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, no oink oink here as it is a Malay run Thai restaurant. We are always champs when it come to food hee..hee...

      Delete
  6. i've actually never tried vicchuda before ... but i guess thanks to your warning, i think i should steer clear too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better to avoid if you are one of those who react badly to msg like me.

      Delete
  7. Where got the seram factor if watch horror movie in the morning.
    Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  8. wahhh.. so early movie goers! No wonder nobody yet... I also love horror movies but dare not watch them alone even in my own house! hahahaa...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah... when at home I will watch in the morning too :)

      Delete
  9. When I see the title, u know what comes into my mind, we must have a competition, see who eats the most, haha...

    ReplyDelete
  10. So nice to spend some time with your brother. Only 2 of you in the cinema. Cool. I want to watch that movie too. Good or not??

    Oooo. I like the tom yum and the battered fried prawns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The movie is OK but not as good as the first one.

      Delete
  11. I tried this place once, just like what you said, food just mediocre, nothing too memorable :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, but I find it alright if not for the excessive msg that they put.

      Delete
  12. I will normally avoid horror movie because my imaginative mind will play havoc!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah...in spite of that, I still want to watch! LOL!

      Delete
  13. only 2 persons eating? that's a feast!

    ReplyDelete