Friday 15 December 2017

Happy Christmas To Me! Kah! Kah! Kah!


In slightly more than a week's time it is Christmas and here I am ho.... ho..... hoing away! Behold my latest acquisition! Some people acquire companies, or shares or properties or even a husband/wife. But me? I acquire pots! Or more specifically, Dutch Ovens. Hah!

It all started with my eyes going wild here where I saw these beauties.



So. First up. Red or blue? Big or small? I had my eye on the small one (blue one on the right) but hey, the red one is sexier, yah? So I asked the assistant for the red one but was informed that it is selling at 40% discount instead of 50%.

Why the difference? Apparently they have more reds than blues in stock, hence the discrepancy in discount value. What a bummer. Being the stingy auntie that I am, sacrificed the red one for an extra 10% discount.

But still, I was happy as I lugged my very heavy (it was really heavy!) Dutch Oven back to the office.



The next morning, I took the pot out from the box. Little did I realize that I had bought the big one instead of the small one. But before I get into that, let's see what this Dutch Oven is all about.



It's a cast iron Dutch Oven coated with porcelain enamel.


RM429.50 after 50% discount (Original price RM859.00)

The inside looks like this.



I read the insert for more information.



Since the porcelain enamel is inert, I would be very comfortable cooking acidic food (like Devil Curry or Nonya Acar) using this pot. I used to worry about iron leaching when I cooked these dishes using the wok.

I used the pot to cook pasta sauce and I was very pleased with the performance. The heat conduction is excellent and I could cook using a lower flame.

It was then that I realised that the pot looked much bigger than the one that I wanted. But it was a blessing in disguise as this is the size that would enable me to cook more food especially for family gatherings.

But....I was still hankering for the small red one. It would would be handy when I cooked smaller portions of food. So.


RM467.40 after 40% discount (original price RM779.00)

Ain't that a beauty? 



This time I paid more attention to the information on the box.



This brand Lodge is quite renown and they have been around for ages.



I have already cooked using both Dutch Ovens. So it was money well spent. Best Christmas present(s) I have given myself hee...hee...

In case anyone is interested, etc@The Starling is having their year end sales until 1 January 2018.


26 comments:

  1. Definitely money well spent! When you wonder why are you working so hard, then think about these two beauties and it will be all worth the hard work. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are darn right! That's my motivation to work and the Starling keeps me happy hee..hee..

      Delete
  2. Beautiful!! Good to invest in good pots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wah! Wah! Wah! Very handsome blue and beautiful red pots that you have got for your Christmas. Your money is indeed well spent by investing in something so practical and useful. I am sure you are happy after having them in your kitchen now. Nice pick! Phong Hong, I can't wait to read what you have cooked with these two pots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Macho right, my pots? hah..hah.. Good investment as these are high quality pots that are good to use.

      Delete
  4. eagerly awaiting to see all the temptations you'll be whipping up with this pot! such as the ultimate macaroni and cheese! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh...macaroni and cheese sound perfect!

      Delete
  5. Wah! These are really great Christmas present for a good cook! Looking forward to the many recipes you will be cooking with them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You bought both? I love the red one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My, my, my...it does look like a very Happy Christmas for you! ;) Actually, the other way of saying there's more stock of the blue ones (hence more discount) would be the red ones are selling better (hence less discount)...kekeke! ;D Well, in the end, it worked out for you...you have both red and blue...problem solved.

    Ooo, I just read that it's suitable for induction tops too...now you've tempted me (I like those I've seen on cooking shows where the cover is flat). I think it's worthwhile if you cook a lot at home (I don't cook often enough). Well, I'm sure you'll have many happy moments together, you and your dutch oven...hihihi! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the happy threesome, me and my Dutch Ovens hee..hee... I read that you can even bake bread in those. I'll try it one of these days.

      Delete
  8. Will be looking eagerly what you will be cooking...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Since the pot is bigger, I will have more excuse to go KL, and make myself so thick skin to appear before PH when she cooks, lol...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come, come. TM sure say wanna join. Must cook two pots!

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. I like the blue one too but I also like the red one hee..hee..

      Delete
  11. Wah! What a nice Xmas present!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sendiri beli untuk sendiri wahahaha!!

      Delete
  12. For someone who like to cook, these two beauties definitely her/his dream pot! I wish to have a cast iron pot one day too but they are too expensive for me for the moment :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The discounted price I feel is very reasonable if compared to some other brands that cost lots more (up to thousand ringgit). So you can still catch it until 1st January 2018 :)

      Delete