Thursday 19 October 2017

Oven "Fried" Buttermilk Chicken


If this sounds familiar, you have seen it here before and I am just repeating a recipe heh... heh... I was at home the other day and I had some leftover expired buttermilk (13 days expired). Haiks! Again!

Yah..yah..yah... me and my buttermilk. So I soaked 3 chicken thighs and 3 chicken drumsticks in the buttermilk overnight. And then guess what? I also had two packets of expired ground almonds in the fridge (1 packet was 4 months expired, the other, 2 months expired) . Haiyah! You ah, Madam!!

Yes, it's fridge cleaning time and as long as it is not moldy (or I can't see it) and does not smell or taste funky, I will eat it. Hah!


Since I wasn't following a recipe, I just chucked whatever seasoning into the ground almonds - salt, black pepper, dried oregano, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, and believe it or not, I forgot all about the onion and garlic powder. I am starting to experience these (forgetful) senior moments. 

Just the other day, I wrote my shopping list, put it into my handbag and then at the supermarket, I started digging into my pants pocket for the list. Drat! I forgot to bring my shopping list, I told my partner. So I shopped based on what I could remember.

Back home, it suddenly dawned upon me that my list was with me all along. Just not in my pocket but in my handbag. But judging from what I picked up at the supermarket, I got it spot on except for items that were not available. That was very reassuring. My faculties are still intact.


In spite of missing the onion and garlic powder, the chicken was still incredibly flavorful. I attribute that to the other spices and ground almonds which imparted a wonderful aroma and taste once baked in the oven.

I served the chicken with some oven baked sweet potato fries and coleslaw. That made for a very satisfying meal.

For the recipe, you can refer here or here.

24 comments:

  1. Looks like I have to tweak my marketing today and grab some chicken instead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love buttermilk and with fried chicken, I could eat a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! My missus used to coat chicken wings with cheese and put in the oven to bake. Easy to cook, fast to eat - a favourite of many who came to our house, Chinese New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks tasty! will any brand of buttermilk do for you or do you look for a specific brand of buttermilk? That day I went to cold storage to look for buttermilk and they have just one brand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only used one brand which is Paul's. I don't seem to see any other brand.

      Delete
  5. Besides being the Queen of Spices, you're also the Queen of Expired Goods! Wakakakaka! :D I still have yet to make fried chicken in the oven...must try soon. ^_~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahahaha!! Still surviving and not having ill effects, touch wood :D

      Delete
  6. I'm waiting for the high rail which will be near my place to be ready, I gonna visit you often, lol...

    ReplyDelete
  7. The outer coating of the chicken is ground almond?
    i think I've seen a few of your buttermilk recipes recently, seem like your buttermilk stock can never be finished huh LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, ground almonds. I buy it even when I have no idea what to bake LOL!

      Delete
  8. Hola! This Ah Hong Chee who sounds like an Expired Aunty in the kitchen. You always boosted my confidence that expired stuffs are still safely edible as no one had died yet (You & Me) My wife had the habits to throw away all my stuffs. Sobs!

    I used to service the leading American brand milk powder and their managers explained that it is very safe to eat the expired stuffs so long as they look and smell good. The expiry dates are just guidelines set by the Ministry.

    I am not familiar with buttermilk but I am dead curious to experiment this ingredient as I do know that yogurt makes good curries!

    #ExpiredAuntyHong #ButterMilkPrincess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! I actually learnt from my mum that some goods can last another 6 months after expiry but of course, one must use discretion lah. Smell and taste. So we have proven that expired goods can still be consumed safely. No waste!

      Delete
  9. My faculties are always a bit loose, so I think I’m in a worse state than you ;) gosh, it’s been awhile since I had great fried chicken - I had kfc’s new Thai fried chicken last week though, and it was surprisingly ok for me (considering I don’t love Thai flavours that much) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah...you are funny :) I believe I would love the new Thai flavor. I just had tom yum fried rice yesterday :)

      Delete
  10. I am still thinking whether to eat KFC just now, cos sometimes when I eat KFC I get sore throat after that and here your "Fried" chickens are here to tempt me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, if it gives you sore throat then it would be best for you to avoid fried chicken.

      Delete
  11. Delicious oven fried buttermilk chicken! Looks so crispy and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is crispy when out of the oven but goes soft when cooled. But can be crisped up again in the oven.

      Delete