Monday 25 September 2017

BBQ Chicken Drumsticks


Quite some time ago, I found a Bobby Flay recipe for Asian Spice Rubbed Ribs with Pineapple Ginger BBQ Sauce. The BBQ sauce sounded very exotic, what with pineapple as an ingredient.

The recipe made for a large quantity so I had to make some agak-agak tweaks and modifications. I reckon using half the amounts would work but then again I did not exactly measure my ingredients but made some notes on a piece of paper (which I subsequently misplaced).


Making the sauce was such a laborious process that I did not have enough time to use it to BBQ anything. So, as I always do, I kept the sauce in the freezer where it sat for a long, long time.

To be honest, I did not do a good job modifying and recipe as the sauce tasted too heavily of hoisin sauce and it was way too sweet. I could not even taste the pineapple. That explained why I was none too excited to use the sauce.


But I had put in so much effort and besides, I had no idea what to do with a packet of chicken drumsticks (yes, they were from the freezer too) and I reckon they could put the frozen BBQ sauce to good use.

So both drumsticks and BBQ sauce were transferred to sit in the fridge overnight to thaw and taken out to room temperature the next day.


I conveniently had some homemade spice rub sitting in the fridge and these came in handy. After rubbing the drumsticks with the spices, I roasted them in the oven. 

After 15 minutes, I dipped each drumstick into the BBQ sauce (I saw Jamie Oliver do that. Monkey see monkey do) and returned them into the oven.

And every 5 minutes, I dipped the drumsticks into the BBQ sauce and continued roasting them until they were done (all in all 30 minutes roasting time).


While they were roasting, I toasted some sesame seeds which I later sprinkled onto the drumsticks. Though as I mentioned earlier, the BBQ sauce had too much hoisin sauce and was too sweet for my liking, the moist and juicy drumsticks tasted great especially eaten with coriander leaves.

I guess I will have to revisit the recipe, make better adjustments and come up with a proper modified recipe to share.

36 comments:

  1. you are so diligent. take the drumsticks out from the fridge every 5 mins to dip them into the bbq sauce for 30 mins means you have to take them out for at least 5 times. Sweet and moist drumsticks sound like those from popular Korean chicken eateries - means success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oven, you mean heh..heh... It works quite well this way because the BBQ sauce sticks better and won't get burnt so easily.

      Delete
  2. I love pineapple and ginger together - especially in a juice. I bet I'd love this sauce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good combo, just that I need to significantly reduce the hoisin sauce.

      Delete
  3. Hey Ah Hong Chee! I am back & posted back dated comments too. Will I earn my brownie cookies and 2 drumsticks from you? Hoi~~!! I like this BBQ Ayam Nenas of yours with Horsin Sos!! Looks so sedap giler like the Korean style which often marinated with reddish BBQ paste and sesame seeds! I loike!! I want!!

    #AyamNenasAhHong #SosLALATayam #Iwant!!! #ChompChomp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back! You earn brownie points :) As usual, you crack me up hah..hah...

      Delete
  4. Leaves / vegetables are the best way to balance any sauce that’s too salty, too sweet or too spicy, ya. Or maybe remove the chicken meat and stick it into a sandwich! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree! I wanted to reserve the chicken meat for wraps but somehow I finished the remainder for dinner :)

      Delete
  5. Reminds me of what we had at the chap fan place here that day - post on this coming soon in my blog. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy. Must be good with those sesame seeds on top. I love sesame seeds. I am going to grill some chicken wings tomorrow. Now sitting in my fridge marinating. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the flavor of the pineapple, if not mistaken it also can help to tenderize meat, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a tenderizer and would be great for tenderizing beef or ribs :)

      Delete
  8. Wow, Phong Hong, so lovely. Can I have some?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know about the sauce but just looking at the roasted chicken drumsticks makes me drool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drumsticks were my favorite chicken part when I was small :)

      Delete
  10. Alamak!!!! .... blushing blushing hahaha.....
    Esok jugak i nak cari small drumstick macam ni ....nak masak BBQ chicken hihi...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hee..hee.. harap2 BBQ sos tu tak expired lagi ye, Hainom?

      Delete
  11. Oh, Bobby Flay is the undisputed 'king of barbeque' on FN :) If the sauce turned out too sweet and not enough pineapple taste, perhaps you can add salt and more pineapples? ;) The one difference I noticed in these chicken drumsticks that were dunked in bbq sauce every 5 mins is that no oil seeped out. Was it like that when you took it out from the oven or were they transferred to another tray for presentation purposes? ^_*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried a few of his recipes and they were good :) I'm going to tweak the recipe again and will take into account your suggestion. Definitely needs more pineapples :) You are right, I transferred the drumsticks to another tray because the original one was full of oil and sauce and very messy!

      Delete
  12. They look very juicy and tempting to me... Do try again to make the sauce.. pineapple as an ingredient sounds good to me too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow..very tempting...sedap ni ratah ajer PH hehee

    Re:
    i ada buat video utk kukus laksam tu..tp post kat ig..kalau boleh selit masuk link,nnt ai edit kat blog..PH boleh refer cara kukus dalam tudung periuk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lina. Nanti PH try cari video Lina. Nak belajar ni :)

      Delete
  14. Can I have some please as I seldom eat chicken drumsticks coated with BBQ sauce so I want to try

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, i thought that this is just easy to prepare! I think this is kinda more healthy because it was baked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is easy. In fact you can use any store bought BBQ sauce :)

      Delete
  16. Ok, I ada four drumstick dlm my esbok, tengoklah kalo ai rajin, kalo malas, just goreng then but masak so saja, haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your anak2 sure suka makan drumsticks :)

      Delete