Wednesday 26 April 2017

Kerutub Daging Terengganu


While digging into my freezer, I discovered two packets of beef that I bought quite a while back. I really need to clear up some space!

I also needed to use up the Terenganu curry powder that is still sitting in the fridge. That's when I decided to cook this Terengganu style curry, which I cooked before. This time, instead of using a mix of dry spices, I used the curry powder.


I am happy to note that the curry turned out well and I enjoyed it very much with the Nasi Beriani Hujan Panas, which was also crowding the freezer hah...hah...

Kerutub Daging Teregganu (Terengganu Style Beef Curry)
Recipe source : Simply Sedap by Chef Wan (page 64)

Ingredients :
- 700g beef
- 1 big onion, sliced
- 200 ml coconut milk + 100 ml water
- 2 blades pandan leaf
- 1 piece asam gelugor
- 40g kerisik
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt or to taste

- 1 star anise
- 3 cardamoms
- 3 cloves
- 1 inch cinnamon stick

Blended :
- 2 tbsp chili paste
- 2 big onions
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 inch ginger
- 10 black peppercorns

- 2 packets Bunga Ros curry powder

Method :
1. Mix blended ingredients with curry powder. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in wok and saute sliced onion, star anise, cardamoms, cloves, cinnamon stick and pandan leaves until fragrant.
3. Add the blended ingredients/curry powder until oil rises to the top.
4. Add beef and stir fry until beef changes color.
5. Add coconut milk/water and asam gelugur.
6. Simmer until gravy thickens and beef is tender.
7. Add sugar, salt and kerisik and continue to simmer for about 10 minutes.
8. Taste and adjust for seasoning.

32 comments:

  1. Wonder how Terengganu curry taste like?? Never heard of Kerutub before but from the photo, it looks like beef rendang. Love the colour of your nasi beriani!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The taste is quite unique. I believe you will like it :)

      Delete
  2. I would love to try that. Now, that looks awfully nice - the curry and the rice and the acar. I would rather have this instead of anything Korean, Japanese, Italian, western whatever...anytime!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so delicious. So mouth watering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nancy! It was a very good meal :)

      Delete
  4. i like to eat everything in your last photo but i won't be able to finish them. the portion in the last photo (all 3 food items) is a bit much for one person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For a dainty eater like you it is too much. But you see, my stomach is not dainty at all hah..hah..

      Delete
  5. Oh mine, I am really craving for curry because I have stopped eating curry for quite some time as I just recovered from my cough

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you can have a little bit once you are feeling much better.

      Delete
  6. Suddenly you make me craving for kerutub :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. PH, upload videos of what you cook, will sure benefits a lot of people, like me, who do not know how to cook, to learn from it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how to shoot video wor...

      Delete
  8. sedapla PH. untung ur husband

    ReplyDelete
  9. I learn a new word today - Kerutub...
    I must visit Terengganu and Kelantan this year to enjoy the food and tourist spots. That will complete my visits to all the 13 states.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you must! Lots of good food to be had over there.

      Delete
  10. This is a perfect meal for two (you and your partner?). Got rice, got pickled veggie, got rendang...hehe! ;) I don't know what kerutub daging Trengganu is like but it looks like a wetter version of rendang to me....and I like my rendang this way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good meal :) The kerutub has a thick gravy and I don't know if you can find it at any Malay stalls here.

      Delete
  11. Kerutuk vs nasi hujan panas memang gandingan mantap ni PH..cam menu kenduri dah ni.Betul2 punya rcp ganu ni siap guna rempah ros lagi..rempah masak atau rempah gulai yg PH guna utk kerutuk ni?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lina, PH guna rempah cap bunga ros yang untuk masak daging. Ada juga rempah untuk masak ikan. Yang tu PH belum cuba lagi.

      Delete
  12. What beautiful photos! Now I'm hungry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear. I hope I am not spoiling your diet hah...hah...

      Delete
  13. Perghhhh......likat melekat terangkat sangat tau tengok kari Terengganu tu. Cap Bunga Raya ke LL?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hainom, cap bunga ros. Cap bunga raya takde hee..hee..

      Delete
  14. Now I feel hungry though I just ate my lunch!

    Don't post something difficult to try, please... ^_^ I am not that hardworking especially while in the kitchen but whenever I look at nice food pics, tetiba aje tau my masak mood comes back to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MD, when your mood to masak comes, must get into action lah. If not, the mood will die off and then you eat kentang. wahahaha!!

      Delete
  15. Kerutub terengganu mmg terangkat kan PH, even me pun dont know how to cook it properly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makan nasi bertambah2 kalau ada kerutub ni, ticer :) Dah lah PH gemok, badan makin naik :(

      Delete