Wednesday 9 November 2016

Zebra Butter Cake, Not


Haiz..... Instead of nice zebra stripes, this cake came out with designs like what Picasso would have made if he baked. Bah! It was not easy to dollop the batter because it is not light like Japanese Cheesecake batter.




But still, the marbled designs turned out quite alright, eh? This is my favorite butter cake recipe, the well known Mrs SK Ng butter cake.



Knowing how fluffy and moist the cake turns out, I had no qualms separating 5 eggs on a hot busy Saturday afternoon.



It was well worth the effort. This Marbled Butter Cake is fragrant, not too sweet and very tasty. 


Marbled Butter Cake
Recipe Source : From previous post here

Mixture A :
250g butter at room temperature
80g caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract 
5 egg yolks
2 tablespoons milk
200g self raising flour (sifted)

Mixture B :
5 egg whites
80g caster sugar

Cocoa Paste :
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 tablespoons or more hot water (put in bit by bit and add as required)

Method :
1. To make cocoa paste, mix cocoa powder with hot water to form a smooth paste and set aside.
2. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla essence.
3. Add egg yolks one at a time and mix well.
4. Add flour in three additions. In the first addition, add 1 tablespoon of milk. Mix on low speed until just incorporated. In the next addition, add in second tablespoon of milk and mix. Then add in last addition of flour. Do not over mix.
5. In another bowl, whisk egg whites and gradually add sugar. Whisk until stiff peaks.
6. Fold in 1/3 of egg whites into the butter mixture. Mix well and fold in the remaining egg whites.
7. Divide the batter into two portions.
8. To one portion, add the cocoa paste and mix until well incorporated.
9. Alternate dollops of the batter into cake tin until all batter has been used up.
10. Use a butter knife to swirl the batter to create marbling pattern.
11. Tap baking pan on work surface a few time to release air bubbles and to level the batter.
12. Bake in 8" lined round pan at 160C for 50 minutes.


Note : I buttered the cake pan and dusted flour all around. And I lined only the bottom part of the pan. I kept the pan in the fridge while preparing the batter.


39 comments:

  1. Picasso design? I think it is beautiful. Worth all your effort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so buttery and tasty! No zebra never mind as long as it is delicious. Any in your freezer for me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow cantiknya marble cake PH tu..
    Tengok pun dah tau..lembut & gebu gebas cakenya...
    I love marble cakes..;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never try bake buttercake so far but dont shocked PH, I pernah try buat Japenese Cheese Cake tau haha..... Tapi sekali dua ajelah haha.....
    Cara buat dia mcm sama dengan JCC kan PH. Part asingkan telur putih dengan telur kuning tu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hainom, I am not shocked at all hah..hah.. Yes, this cake caranya macam JCC. Kena buat dengan penuh tata tertib gitu...

      Delete
  5. Your cake looks deliiiiicious with nice pattern. Picasso would be eating them instead and forget about making patterns. I have watched many YouTubes on making Zebra Cake patterns to get ideas before. Amazing art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In video it looks easy but when it comes to doing, something else happens hah..hah...

      Delete
  6. Last time, when i bake it, i never get the nice pattern...

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, it's a zebra cake if it comes out with a nice zebra striped pattern and a marble cake when it's not? Hehe! :D Zebra or marble, it doesn't matter...it's still one of my favourite cakes (I like simple cakes without all that fancy schmancy chocolate and what-nots)! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is very good cake if I may say so myself. I was never a fan of butter cakes until I baked my own :)

      Delete
  8. it turns out a lovely cake..

    Please visit: http://from-a-girls-mind.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yet to try baking a cake though I keep telling myself I would. Now it is out of the question as my girl is off wheat flour and we can't get any gluten free ones here. No cakes, no cookies for us this Christmas and Chinese New Year. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She can opt for flourless cakes made from beaten egg whites and ground almonds.

      Delete
  10. This is the second butter cake made from the recipe of Mrs SK Ng that I have seen in the last two days.

    I am sure you have already earn you stripes, Phong Hong. One smart business woman ,accountant and a good cook with a GSOH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Corina, you are too generous with your compliments, I want to faint hah..hah... bring out the smelling salts please!

      Delete
    2. Phong Hong, you can hold your own here 😎

      Delete
  11. Your butter cake design looks very nice mah...Most important the cake is delicious! Long time I didn't bake butter cake. I bookmarked this recipe since in case I want to back a nice and moist butter cake like yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nancy. The egg separation method results in a fluffier butter cake, not dense like the regular ones. Try it.

      Delete
  12. Looks so yummy that I'm craving for a cake now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hee..hee..can go and buy a slice to eat!

      Delete
  13. What you talking about? This cake is more zebra than some Zebra cake slices I ever had in cafes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Phong Hong, one of my favourite cakes. How I wish I can have a piece right away? Home baked cakes are good minus the essences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kimmy! I agree. I still remember the one from the old bakery that smelt funny :(

      Delete
  15. nice also la the stripes ... clean lines and artistic-looking! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Can I have some for tea time? Hee hee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course :) It's also nice for breakfast.

      Delete
  17. Whether is zebra pattern or not, it looks pretty~ I love butter cake!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Rajinnya PH buat zebra kek ni
    Bagilah mood rajin sikit pada kaknoor ni hehe
    Kaknoor dok ingt je nk buat
    Sampai skrg ni belum lgi terbuat haha
    Copy resepi lah dilu ek
    Nnt nk try lah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari tu jer, terrajin, Kak Noor. Lately kurang ada mood untuk membaking hee..hee... Cubalah, Kak Noor. Kek ni gerenti sedap.

      Delete
  19. Hi Phong Hong,
    I like this zebra pattern butter cake. Nice!

    ReplyDelete