Monday 7 November 2016

BBQ Sauce Fried Chicken


I opened the freezer the other day and realized that I have three containers of my homemade BBQ sauce. Not only were these taking up space, they were also depriving me of containers.

Then I remembered my ex-primary school classmate, K. Nor of Secubit Garam, posted a recipe using BBQ sauce. K. Nor's blog is a rich source of reference but my friend has since retired from blogging. I miss her pot pet (banter) but I can always visit her on FB.


There is a recipe for a special BBQ sauce in K. Nor's post (which she adapted from another blog) but since I already have my own, I will keep that BBQ sauce recipe for another time.

The chicken pieces are simply marinated with light soya sauce, Maggi seasoning, black pepper, egg yolks (I used one whole egg) and some cornflour. 

Then you fry the marinated chicken. I did not deep fry the chicken, instead I shallow fried it.

Ler ni minyak mahal, so kaedah deep frying tak main.

I actually dreaded the thought of frying the chicken but hey, this time it seemed like a breeze. Maybe I was in a good mood. The chicken was very crispy. This marinade is pretty good.

Kalau ikut perasaan, nak ratah gitu jer.

Then the next step is to saute some garlic, onions and then throw in the chicken and pour in the BBQ sauce. Then toss the whole lot to coat. 


The result? Spectacular. If your BBQ sauce is good, you are sure to score on this dish. 


I could not stop eating the chicken and had to stop myself before I devoured half of the platter hee..hee.. 

BBQ Sauce Fried Chicken
Recipe source : Adapted from Secubit Garam

Ingredients :
- 1 kg chicken, chopped as you wish
- 1 tbsp light soya sauce
- 1 tbsp Maggi Seasoning
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 egg
- 4 tbsp cornflour

- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 large Bombay onion, cut into cubes
- 1 red chili, sliced and some cili padi (optional)
- 1.5 cups BBQ Sauce (I used my own homemade BBQ Sauce)

Method :
1. Marinated chicken with light soya sauce, Maggi seasoning, black pepper, egg and cornflour. Set aside for about 30 minutes.
2. Heat oil in wok and fry chicken in batches until golden brown and cooked through.
3. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
4. Once all the chicken are fried, heat oil in another pan and saute garlic until lightly browned.
5. Add Bombay onions,  chilies and saute briefly.
6. Add fried chicken to the pan and pour in BBQ Sauce.
7. Toss the chicken to evenly coat the chicken in BBQ sauce.
8. Serve immediately.

41 comments:

  1. Love this take on, Phong Hong. Is there any spare?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, in the fridge. You want some? LOL!

      Delete
  2. That looks good. Corn flour is fine, my girl does not have a problem with that. The Chinese places here, most will use wheat flour to deep fry everything so we are staying away from those these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the time I prefer to use cornflour because it seems "lighter".

      Delete
  3. Hi, your BBQ fried chicken looks really tempting and good. These days, I love adding black pepper to meat dishes, extra fragrance and nice aroma. I'm waiting for your home-made BBQ sauce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimmy, I also like adding black pepper for extra oomph!

      Delete
  4. It looked spectacular to me. I would have 2 bowls of rice with this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's even better on it's own just like that :)

      Delete
  5. When I looked at the dish, I thought it looked rather similar to sweet & sour chicken. Haha, is there actually a difference between deep frying and shallow frying? The latter (to me) means you have to turn the chicken just once (to fry the other side) as opposed to submerging the whole piece in oil. I prefer this way as I can use less oil...I even shallow fry my wantans...kekeke! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does look like sweet and sour chicken. Well, deep or shallow, the difference is we save oil hah..hah... some people say shallow is better because the exposed part cools down and when you turn it into the oil again, you get the double frying effect.

      Delete
  6. This is interesting to know that we could make our own barbeque sauce!! It sounds easy too. The ones sold outside are not cheap.
    I love your photo complete with Bunga Raya!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With homemade BBQ suace, we can tweak it to our own tastes.

      Delete
  7. I wish i can cook as well as you... Mine will always be no eye see...

    ReplyDelete
  8. if you brought this dish to a pot luck dinner, it'd be gone in five minutes! while the plate of soggy popiah sitting next to it on the table looks scarcely touched :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. aduh tergoda kaknoor tengok bbq sauce ayam ni lah PH
    simpan dulu resepi ni tunggu mood rajin nk try lah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cubalah, Kak Noor. Sedap nih. Budak-budak sure suka ayam goreng bersos macam ni.

      Delete
  10. Not a fan of BBQ sauce, hehe :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This BBQ sauce is not like the regular ones served at BBQ joints :)

      Delete
  11. Hi Phong Hong
    Indeed the chicken memang nampak so sedapp..
    Oh you & Nor were from the same school ya..
    That means you are about our age jugalah ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ayu, TQ :) Yes, me and Nor born in 1967. We are still young, right? hee..hee..

      Delete
  12. Sometimes kan PH, I sampai tak tau nak masak apa, yelah everyday always same menu. Kari, kicap, sup adoyaiii...But this menu mmg really insipired me.
    Nanti nak try masak.

    Tp nampaknya kenalah cari BBQ sos dulu ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hainom, PH pun sometimes buntu what to cook. So that's the time I intai-intai dapor orang lain to get ideas and inspirasi.

      Delete
  13. Kiut saja your captions. Hihi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hee..hee..I could blog in Malay if I wanted to.

      Delete
  14. I'm more than a bit depressed reading this BBQ sauce chicken post while I am eating boiled chicken breast in soup. The flavors like heaven and earth... sigh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yours is the healthy one, if that's any consolation...

      Delete
  15. Looks good but I don't think you can eat the whole plate in one seating. Does it keep well? Did you finish the whole plate in one day or keep some in the fridge for another day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can keep and I had it reheated. Still taste good but of course no more crunchy.

      Delete
  16. ooooo... Looks so juicy and moist! Want to sink my teeth into the remaining half... hahaha... I am so hungry now.. I just took a dumpling "Pau" and half a pomelo for dinner... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your dinner is healthier lah, this one is oily but hee..hee..so good :D

      Delete
  17. Now I need a stash of good BBQ sauce in my freezer so I can whip this up. The hubby would love this twist on fried chicken!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can get those good bottled ones and it will turn out great!

      Delete
  18. I really love your bbq sauce fried chicken. I just getting hungry by looking at it.. slurp!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try it Ann, it's really worth the trouble :)

      Delete
  19. Love this! Nowadays got a lot of ready-packed sauces in the market, of course homemade is always healthier la! But those ready-packed ones is really convenient too~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, at Cold Storage got all sorts of good imported BBQ sauce that are delicious.

      Delete
  20. I intend to buy a new oven and try to make roast chicken as per your recipe again, stay tune!

    As usual, your BBQ sauce chicken looks so fantastic and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh? Yes, I am looking forwards to your roast chicken.

      Delete
  21. that looks so yummy. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete