Monday 22 August 2016

Wood & Steel@Damansara Uptown (CLOSED)


One day as I was walking in the neighborhood, I noticed that a shop lot was being renovated. A light shop used to occupy that space. I was hoping that it would be a restaurant or a cafe.

And guess what? My dream came true. Wood & Steel joins the Damansara Uptown stable of eateries. Yay! It's along the same row as A Pie Thing, next to Klinik Teh.


So of course I was thrilled and I had to check it out when they opened for business two weeks ago.

I like the decor. Very cosy and very cool. 


Ooops! There's a bicycle mounted on the wall. 


The place is small and yet spacious so you don't get that cramped crowded feeling. 


Now on with the food. You have to make you orders and pay at the counter and your orders will be delivered to your table. The menu offers quite a variety of choices. 



My partner let me order and I chose the Classic Chicken Grilled (RM27.00) for him.

Portion size is modest. Not enough for him.

Yikes! What are those reddish things on the chicken? I didn't notice that before.

Is this romantic or what?
Oh, it's the reflection from the flickering candle. 


The chicken was served with mashed potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower and carrots. The portion size is small which means that you will have room for desserts :)

There were a few selections of pasta but it was a Friday and therefore not a cheat day for me. So. I went for the Moroccan Lamb Shank (RM46.00).


The size of this thing reminded me of Fred Flintstone's Brontosaurus ribs even though this is not ribs. Does anyone even remember The Flintstones?


Just like the roast chicken, the Lamb Shank was also served with mashed potatoes and vegetables.

Tastewise, it was decent. I could taste the spices but it wasn't enough for me to want to order this again. I can't help comparing this to the one at Serai or Epicuro.


The meat was very tender and falling off the bone. The portion size was good to fill me up and since it was not cheat day, I let my partner have my mashed potatoes.



And guess what happened next. You want desserts? He had to ask me that question on a non-cheat day. So naughty of him. No lah, don't want. Order lah. Go. And I caved in. Tsk!

So.


Carrot Cake (RM12.00). Do you know that I have not eaten a Carrot Cake before? I took the opportunity to have a taste and it did not disappoint me.


I was delighted that the cake itself was barely sweet. The cream cheese frosting was of course very sweet and complimented the cake well. I would have preferred a more subtle level of sweetness but as cream cheese frostings go, this is what is to be expected. 


Well, I broke the rules and had a slice of cake that was fortunately worth the calories.

The total damage was RM68 (after 20% discount) which I feel is on the high side. The cake was RM9.60 (after 20% discount) and it is high time I baked one myself.

I will be back though. On a non-cheat day so that I can sample the pastas and have a slice of brownie :)


28 comments:

  1. If i see cake, i can't resist the temptation, hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This eatery has quite a few branches around and I see they just opened a new one in your area. I've seen reviews on this place...mostly "unkind" I'm afraid. Not really a fan of carrot cake but what's with that carrot cake?...RM12 is expensive for just a cube, not even a slice! O_o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very expensive. That's seems to be the price range of their cakes.

      Delete
  3. Gosh! Such an indulgence on No Cheat Day! Haha. But I love it! Love what you have.

    I never tasted carrot cake before. I dont know. Somehow I cannot associate carrot in cake. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too couldn't get the idea of carrot in a cake but it's nice :)

      Delete
  4. Hmm, somehow the pictures doesn't inspire me. I mean, not compatible with the prices they charge. RM 27 for a plate of grilled chicken is kind of a high-end price, is it not? But your plate looks decidedly... like those no frills, inexpensive places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. It does not justify those prices. Taste is just average.

      Delete
  5. With a name like that, I would not expect it to be a place with anything to eat, sounds like a hardware shop, not unless those are the names of the chefs - Mr Wood and Mr. Steel, what a perfect match. LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand that they also sell the furniture in the shop. That's where the wood and steel come from :)

      Delete
  6. So you were unable to resist the cake, ya? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blog is always full of foodie surprises and now a shock that you had never eaten Carrot Cake!!!!!! ~faints~

    There is one Wood & Steel nearby my place for years and I have not stepped inside. Will do so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to bake a carrot cake soon. LOL!

      Delete
    2. My wife bakes the best carrot cakes in the world.

      Delete
  8. Seem like this outlet is different with its Kota Damansara one as the former is in form of cafe cum furniture gallery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if this one also sells furniture.

      Delete
  9. Uiks...near my place have one wor... i wonder have or not promoto

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This promo is for the opening so applicable to this outlet only.

      Delete
  10. Ah, so the Lamb Shank is not as good as the one you recommended in Serai. This means that I don't need to go and eat this one. I can't spend this kind of money for a normal weekday lunch. Can only spend during celebrations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best keep your money for Serai. I must go there again for the fantastic Lamb Shank!

      Delete
  11. I remember the Flinstones😀

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice finding! Oh yes, Flinstones' definitely one of my fave cartoons! I love Bam Bam & Pebbles! xoxo

    ReplyDelete