Tuesday 2 August 2016

Burnt!


Does anybody like Tasty? I love watching their videos because they make cooking and baking look so simple. Of course they are not simple because what you see is just the main process itself where everything looks slick, beautiful and delicious, all accompanied by catchy music.

When you attempt it yourself, hah....that's when reality sinks in - peel onions, wash and drain lettuce, debone chicken, squeeze lime etc, etc, etc and then the washing up, eh? And there is no music to pop you along.

So. I watched this video.


Honey Lime Chicken and Avocado Salad. Tell me you are not tempted when you watch this video. That is of course if you are not a salad or avocado hater.

I was so taken that I immediately went out to buy avocados.


These were from Green Market in Damansara Uptown. Cost me RM15.00 for these three. Haiz.....

Then on Sunday I bought 4 chicken thighs and deboned them myself. After marinating for about an hour, I pan fried them, in hopes of achieving that nice charred look like the ones in the video.


The three cremated pieces were the first ones that went into the pan. I guess I got carried away. >.<

Needless to say, the process of making this salad was nowhere as glamorous as  the one in the video.


But the result was spectacular. The chicken was beautifully moist, juicy and delicious. I simply love the lime honey marinade. The salad dressing? Stellar! 


The avocado? Love it, love it, love it! So creamy and delish.

This is one of my new found favorite salads and it was worth all that effort. Deboning the chicken thigh was a pain but I would not dream of exchanging it for chicken breasts.


Honey Lime Chicken and Avocado Salad
Recipe source : Adapted from Tasty

Ingredients :
- 4 chicken thighs, deboned

Marinade :
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp honey
- Juice from 2 limes (limau nipis)

Method :
1. Mix all the marinade ingredients together.
2. Add chicken thighs and marinate for about 1 hour.
3. Heat oil in a pan and pan fry over high heat until chicken is seared and cooked.
4. Set aside to cool and slice.

For the salad :
- Cos lettuce, cut into smaller pieces
- Cherry tomatoes, sliced
- Onions, sliced
- Cucumbers, sliced
- Avocado, diced

For the dressing :
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp salt
- some pepper
- Juice from 4 limes

Method :
1. Mix all the dressing ingredients together.
2. Taste and adjust for seasoning.

To assemble salad :
1. Toss salad vegetables and sliced chicken with dressing.
2. Serve!

34 comments:

  1. I had avocados drink before, but not sure what to do with avocados and also not cheap, so never buy before...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me also hardly buy because of the price....

      Delete
  2. I'm an avocado lover....and a salad lover, so I should so make this since the marinade and dressing look so simple! ;) I don't know if you can get deboned chicken thigh from Aeon but you can certainly get it from the wet market (you just need to ask the chicken seller to do it for you).

    But your finished product doesn't look burnt at all...so what did you do to the other 3 pcs of chicken (hide them underneath the salad?, tossed away the skin? gave those pcs to your partner? *snigger*) :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! Another thing we have in common :) I don't seem to see deboned thighs at Aeon, so had to DIY.

      Well, I ate the burnt skin hah..hah... So crunchy and nice though a bit bitter

      Delete
  3. Yums! I love to eat avocados. Last time when I cooked I deboned the chicken thighs and also removed all the fats hidden in the folds of the thigh meat. Removing the fats is a pain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like watching Tasty. Whatevee they made, everything so good.

    I love avocados. Salad or not salad. Now you are tempting me to make this salad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see Tasty, I thought that HK wantan mee place in Gurney Paragon, Penang >.< ...
    I never seen their videos before, but I guess I won't. I don't like recipe videos that mislead people in terms of the tediousness involved :/

    Also, I think your salad looks nicer than the one in the video. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they were to show the actual (tedious) parts, it would take too long and people will be put off hah..hah..

      Thanks for the compliment :)

      Delete
  6. Wahhh... healthy wor.. all in one bowl and no carb! Give you 10 Likes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Burnt = extra fragrant, extra nice...but that is a little too over. Muahahahahaha!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Phong Hong, remove the burnt parts, still okay. Like this kind of dressing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kimmy! I ate the burnt parts hah..hah... This dressing is good. Try it :)

      Delete
  9. I love watching Tasty videos, every recipes looks so simple & easy :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, every time I watch it I get motivated :)

      Delete
  10. The avos are probably expensive because of the costs associated in importing them into Malaysia. Pan-frying requires the skill of time, actually. I was helping another volunteer to cook the vegetarian patties and sausages a couple of weeks ago for our university's BBQ, and we landed with a couple of charred patties. *smh*

    Your salad still looks awesome !*thumbs up*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, they are luxury items here. I have burnt many food in my time hah...hah...

      Delete
  11. No matter how the process of preparations looked like in the realty, the salad looks very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love avocado and this salad indeed looks tasty and healthy too! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of the best salads I have ever eaten. So good!

      Delete
  13. Wow, a salad meal itself! Looks delicious and I could finish the whole plate!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can smell it at this hour

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your salad looks very good! Avocado taste the best with salad!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your salad looks so delicious. I have only tasted avocado once but I think it will taste great in this salad. Yums!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to think avocado is weird but not anymore!

      Delete