I know. I have been posting everything and anything except my baking and cooking. And you know what? The weird thing is that my pageviews have since doubled. Which is an indication that nobody actually gives a hoot about my baking and cooking. Hah!
Anyway, the Hari Raya holidays gave me much respite from work and I finally got down to some serious baking.
Looking into my pantry, I noticed with much distress that I have so many bottles of Nutella and they will expire sometime this month.
Yes, I remember Nutella hoarding last year when I had grand designs on baking stuff with Nutella. I always make great baking plans only to see them end up as stalled projects.
So. It is time to reignite Project Nutella and what better way to do so than to bake Nutella Cheesecake Bars.
Would you believe me if I said that cheesecakes are the laziest cakes? They are actually very easy to bake and almost always fail proof.
Not the Japanese Cotton Cheesecake types. Those, you are asking for trouble. I am talking about the American style cheesecakes where you make a biscuit base, beat up the cream cheese, pour over the base and bake.
In fact, you don't even need to bake them in a waterbath and they will still turn out alright.
That's why I love cheesecakes - easy to bake and so good to eat!
Nutella Cheesecake Bars
Recipe source : Adapted from Sally's Baking Addiction
For the base :
- 200g digestive biscuits, finely crushed
- 75g butter, melted
For the filling :
- 500g cream cheese
- 150g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
For the topping :
- Nutella, about 100g or more
1. Line a square 8" baking pan with removable base.
2. Mix crushed digestive biscuits with the melted butter.
3. Pour mixture into the pan and using your fingers, press the mixture onto the base ensuring that it is compact. Set aside.
4. Beat cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy.
5. Add vanilla extract and egg and continue to beat until evenly mixed.
6. Pour cream cheese mixture into the pan and smooth out with spatula.
7. Using a teaspoon, spoon dollops of Nutella onto the cream cheese and using a skewer or buter knife, make swirls.
8. Bake in preheated oven at 140C for 50 minutes or until cheesecake is set.
9. Remove from oven and cool completely before chilling overnight in the fridge.