Friday 20 May 2016

BBQ Ma Eul Cup Bab@Uptown Damansara


It's quite a tongue twister, this. Ma Eul Cup Bab. And quite hard to remember. But that's just me. I know a lot of you out there are K-pop and K-drama enthusiasts and anything Korean rolls off your tongue very easily. Not me though.

This Korean restaurant is newly opened and is just next door to Baskin Robbins in Damansara Uptown (where the bakery Free Mori used to be). Of course I was excited because I love Korean food.

One fine day I decided to pop by for lunch. I've been inside when it was occupied by Free Mori and the space is small.


I think there was minimal renovation done except for the facade. I was early, trying to avoid the lunch crowd. A week or two ago when I passed by, I noted that it was quite popular with the office workers.


Since I was alone, I did not go for the BBQ. But I noted the guy at the table opposite mine was alone and he was having the BBQ. Hmmm.....maybe I should do that too. But no, I opted for one of the set meals.


This is the Bulgogi Dub Bab. It's beef stir fried with some enoki mushrooms and strips of yellow peppers.


It came with the usual side dishes. Initially 3 were served.


And then a sour faced Korean dude brought the 4th one to the table. 


Actually I wasn't sure if he was Korean. I mean, I have been mistaken for a Korean (and sometimes Japanese), so I could be wrong.

So how was the meal? It's not bad. The beef was tasty enough but not impressive.


I was rather surprised that I liked this kimchi. I'm not a fan but this one suited me. It was tangy and somehow felt...how shall I put it...light. It went well with the rice.


Soya bean sprouts. I never liked this but I ate it anyway.


This is fish cake slices. Not very happening. Also went down the hatch.


And yes, I also liked the cucumber kimchi. Am I now converted to kimchi lover? 

I did not order drinks because water is served free of charge. When you are seated, the server will bring you a jug of water. 

This meal cost me RM15.00, no GST, no service charge.


Will I be back? Maybe, for the BBQ. We'll see.

28 comments:

  1. Not much of a fan for Korean cuisine other than its fried chicken. Lol! My hubby loves kimchi and he bought those bottle of kimchi from supermarket. Some days when he has no appetite or anything, he will take some and eat with rice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I quite enjoyed the kimchi with rice. Next time I must try their kimchi fried rice.

      Delete
  2. RM15 eh? There's a new place here run by a Korean couple, they say, but I did not get to try - you'll find out why in my post tomorrow. I saw the menu, nothing less than RM10 and it is a coffee shop kind of setting. I feel that is rather pricey. Not too sure if I will drop by or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite alright RM15.00 for a set up like this. I will try the other sets on the menu from time to time. Can't afford to eat like this everyday hah..hah...

      Delete
  3. I guess I know why the dude is sour faced. He has to give you 4 banchan when your set meal costs only RM15 :D Hey, they say banchan served in even numbers are considered bad luck!! >.< But not to the Chinese, I suppose...hehe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah...but the banchan contents is so little and I did not ask for refills :D I saw him telling off one of the staff, so maybe he was having issues with the staff hence the sour face.

      Delete
  4. Same style, same price as that K-Food place that I went to once in Penang. I hope you're not super thirsty for the rest of the day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, not thirsty and this is a good sign.

      Delete
  5. Me got eat Korean food, but not into it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah..I am into it but can't afford to eat often.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for showing this place as I often ate at the Baskin Robbins next door. I was curious about this place as I like Korean Food very much.
    If you had eaten the really good Kim Chi, you could finish whole bottle of them. You can use it to fry them or make soups like the Koreans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kimchi here must be very good then because I liked it a lot.

      Delete
  7. I like to eat kimchi. RM15 for your beef bulgogi set meal is a steal. The price is so much better than my beef bulgogi meal at Oiso that costs me RM22.15 nett. I would have your meal anytime over what I had at Oiso.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guessed just as much that RM15.00 is considered reasonable with no GST and service charge. I am keen to try the other sets they offer. I saw that they have kimchi fried rice.

      Delete
  8. Wah. Why was that dude sour faced?

    Your meal looks nice but I don't fancy the presentation much. Looks like normal nasi campur style. Hihihi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dunno, maybe gaduh with his staff because I saw him telling the guy off.

      I agree with you that the presentation need to me improved hee..hee...

      Delete
  9. I have never tried any Korean food and I have very slight idea about their kitchen:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe one day you will get to try it :)

      Delete
  10. I am a kimchi lover, last time I don't know how to appreciate kimchi then after I went to Korea, came back I fell in love with kimchi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might be becoming a kimchi lover too if all the kimchi I eat is the same as the one I had that day.

      Delete
  11. This meal looks healthy, no meat... just a bit of this and that. I like the Korean pancake, can replenish when finished... well, that was what we did last time.. very kiasu.. hahahaaa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is beef, simple meal. The side dishes are just OK to justify the bill hah..hah...

      Delete
  12. I always want kimchi! What a delicious looking meal.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am not a kimchi lover. Ha ha I do like the way the side dishes were served in tiny portions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The portions were too tiny, I think hah...hah... I have had slightly more generous portions elsewhere.

      Delete
  14. Saw this last Sunday when I was at Texas Chicken located diagonally it :P

    ReplyDelete