Please excuse the messy presentation. This is how real food looks like in my house. Especially when I cannot wait to dig in.
I cooked this fried rice because I was so impressed with the one I had at the Wedding Dinner. The recipe? I know jolly well where to get the recipe because I remembered Kimmy's Sesame Ginger Fried Rice.
Quite honestly, when I read Kimmy's post back in 2012, I thought that the ginger and sesame oil would be too overpowering. I mean, I love sesame oil and ginger especially in ginger chicken. But fried rice? Boy, was I wrong. So wrong.
All this time, whenever I cooked anything with sesame oil, I have always mixed my regular cooking oil (olive oil or grapeseed oil) with sesame oil. That was because I felt that sesame oil was too overpowering when used by itself.
Well, all my misgivings were proven otherwise when I bravely used all sesame oil when cooking this very flavorful and extremely delicious fried rice.
One important thing to remember is to use good sesame oil. I used my favorite which is Organic Toasted Sesame Oil. It costs a bit more but I appreciate the quality of the sesame oil. And the aroma is like no other.
This fried rice is not difficult to cook. But you need to spend some time shredding the ginger. How much to put is really up to you. Then you need to fry the ginger in sesame oil until it is brown as crispy.
I have always loved fried ginger, you know the ones they put on Chinese steamed fish or deep fried fish. When that comes to the table, somebody with sapu all the fried ginger. Somebody.
Well, I was blown away when I tasted this ginger fried rice. In fact this is better than the restaurant's because I added sliced pork and mushrooms. The one at the wedding had flaked fish in it.
Kimmy's recipe has crispy fried anchovies and that I will add next time. I was a bit
lazy too pressed for time to fry the anchovies.
This is my second attempt at this fried rice. The first time, I had no intention of blogging about it. But since it was so good, I simply had to devote a post to share. So, if you love ginger and if you also love sesame oil, you must not miss this fried rice.
Ginger Fried Rice
Recipe source : Adapted from Cooking Pleasure
Note : I am sorry I do not have exact measurements. Please visit the recipe source for reference.
- Overnight cooked rice
- marinated pork slices (marinated with garlic, soya sauce, sesame oil and pepper)
- sliced shitake mushrooms
- ginger, finely shredded
- garlic, chopped
- light soya sauce
- dark soy sauce
- sesame oil
- coriander leaves
1. Heat sesame oil in wok and fry shredded ginger until brown and crispy. Do it in batches if you have to.
2. Remove the fried ginger and set aside.
3. In the same oil, fry garlic until slightly brown and aromatic.
4. Add marinated pork and fry until pork changes color.
5. Add mushrooms and continue to stir fry until pork is cooked and mushrooms are tender.
6. Add rice, light and dark soya sauce. Stir fry until rice is evenly coated.
7. Add half of the fried ginger and continue to fry the rice until all ingredients are well mixed.
8. Dish out and garnish with remaining fried ginger and coriander leaves.