Sunday 15 November 2015

Low Carb@Windmill


Just a day after our lunch date at Krishna Curry House, my brother and I were off to another eating spree. As vowed the day before, I was going to start my low carb eating plan immediately (which of course tanked a week later. Tsk!).

Therefore I had to eat someplace where I could avoid carbs. So my brother suggested western food and we agreed to go to Windmill. This is the one opposite Subang Jaya Medical Centre.

When we got there, the restaurant was almost full house. We were shown to a booth that seats two. It was kinda weird because we sat facing the back of the booth in front of us. It was like staring at the wall, totally. Actually we were given a choice of being seated there or at the other end (more crowded) and I chose the two seater.


So there we were, the two fatties crammed together in this secluded booth. I think it is meant for lovebirds who want to sit close together and get all lovey dovey. Nice move, sis! OK, next time we seat somewhere more roomy.


I like it that they have fresh orchids on the table. My brother and I were here before back in 2001 when our dad was admitted to SJMC.

After checking the menu, we placed our orders. My brother went for the Sirloin Steak while I chose the Mixed Grill. Somehow, I just can't resist a mixed grill because I like having variety on my plate. I noted from the menu that it comes with fries and I made a request for that to be replaced with a salad or any kind of vegetables except potatoes (the server suggested baked potato. No, no).

As customary, the fresh rolls with butter was served. 


Of course I couldn't eat that. My brother, who gamely joined me in my pledge to go low carb, was going to start a day later (hellooooo...how's it going. bro?)


So I offered him my bun. He told me the buns were very fresh and good.


It took a while for our mains to come but it wasn't that long a wait. My brother's sirloin steak came first.


I had a peek at his plate and I spotted the two baked potatoes.


I love baked potatoes. Sobbbbsss!!!!


My brother offered me one but no, I was sticking to my plan. My Mixed Grill came shortly after.


It looked alright. See the sausage? I think the chef was trying to make it look decorative. 


There you go, no carbs. I mean low carbs. There are some carbs in the vegetables especially the carrots. They gave me a lot of carrots.

There was chicken, sausage, lamb and steak on my platter. The egg was, well, hee..hee..hee... Never mind. 

There was tomato ketchup and chilli sauce on the table. So I had to insult the chef by pouring chilli sauce onto my plate.


No, no. The food was good, it's just my bad habit of having chilli sauce with anything I eat. And having said that, my brother remarked "This chilli sauce is damn good!".


It was good hah...hah.... I know, we are total neanderthals. Why talk about chilli sauce when we should be focusing on our food. Right.

The chicken and lamb was good. It was well seasoned and tasty except that the lamb was chewy and not as tender as I would like. .


The steak was supposed to be done medium (the server asked me how I would like it done) but I soon realized that there is really no point in asking. It was a small piece and it would be really hard to get it done medium rare. It's either raw or well done hah..hah..

Only a small segment of the meat was pinkish, the rest was well done all the way. But I'm OK with that. I still enjoyed the steak.


This is the lamb. Oooo...I love the fatty parts. If only the meat was more tender, it would have been better.


And of course I loved the broccoli. I only wish that I could have more. There was too much carrots on my plate but I really cannot complain as I was happy that the kitchen obliged my request. I did not miss the fries one bit.

We were quite full after the lunch. It was satisfying. Good but not great. And I think we will visit again only when we have to drop by SJMC.

26 comments:

  1. If me, i will choose mixed grill too, but me no thank you to lamb, eat once and last, not to my liking...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a realllllyy good low carb meal option. Hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eyewwwwww....I do not like the fat in lamb!!! Ooooo...I love baked potatoes too. Yum...yummmm....!!!!! Oopsss!!!! No carbs? What a pity!!! Hehehehehe!!!! So lucky your bor, getting to enjoy all the nice buns. LOL!!!

    Oh? You have a brother. First time I hear you mention him. Fleshy hand, hmmm...must be like me. Hehehehehe!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hee..hee..we are related to Papa Kucing, so the fleshy part is to be expected :D

      Delete
  4. When you say like that, makes me wonder if the waiter thought you were a couple instead, hahaha!

    The egg was what? What hee hee hee? I don't get it. I thought the egg looks alright. Not runny enough?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah.. very odd couple :D

      I guess I am being condescending towards whoever fried the egg. It was overcooked and I expected it to be better executed at a place like this.

      Delete
  5. If I have to choose, I will go for the sirloin steak. Everything on that plate looks nice ha ha because I am not into low carb diet. But I love both, the mixed grill looks good too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, I have given up on low carb hah..hah..hah...

      Delete
  6. I prefer the mixed grill as I get to taste everything..did you request for a bull eye with the mixed grill too ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, the egg came as part of the mixed grill.

      Delete
  7. Eh, I miss Windmill leh.. You know why? Was one of the earliest paktor place between me and bf (now hubby), hehe.. And he loves the steak there.. But I seldom see Windmill already.. The last time I saw was at AEON Bukit Tinggi, Klang, too far for me..Love those warm+soft buns and butter before the main course, I can eat 3 buns and 6 blocks of butter if they give, you know.. TWO baked potatoes on your brother's plate! I want! I can eat 4 baked potatoes with loaded sour cream you know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh...your old dating place hah..hah... It's not bad lah this restaurant. Next time ah...I just wallop the buns and potatoes.

      Delete
  8. I have heard of this Windmill restaurant and when you mentioned it is just opposite of SJMC, that rings a bell to me, I've passed by and saw that but never been there to dine before la, hehe.. :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow, that is one plateful loaded with meat!! so you have got lamb chop, chicken chop, a sausage (chicken??), an egg and blanched veggie to replace your potatoes.. indeed very low carb and full of protein huh?? nice, especially to a "carnivore", haha!!

      Delete
    2. so they just placed that bottle of chili sauce on the table so conveniently reaching out to the patrons?? like that they don't really mind patrons "insulting" the chef, or they actually gave in to the bad habit of most Malaysians who would insist on adding chili sauce to just anything?? hihihi~~

      Delete
    3. I liked the meaty mixed grill and somehow I can't help myself when I see chili sauce. Sure must pour on my plate and dip my food in it.

      Delete
  9. I've never eaten here....I think they're a bit like The Ship, yes? Now that I see that the steaks are so thin, I'll think twice...heehee! :D Yeah, I don't know why some places still ask us how we want our steaks done (when they're so thin) when they know it's quite pointless. Your brother's baked potatoes, didn't come with the usual sprinkled turkey bits? And I won't be able to resist (like you) if I see potatoes. The sausage and egg on your plate made it look like you were having a half breakfast, half dinner platter...haha! ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, much like The Ship but I think The Ship has an edge over them. Now that you mentioned it, no, they did not put any turkey bits on the potatoes. I remember at The Ship, the waiter will come and put the sour cream and toppings for you.

      Delete
  10. Hi Phong Hong, I think I must go for low carbo or no carbo diet too. Your platter looks good. The other day, I was at the health centre, they told me I'm over-weight, optimal wt should be 49 kg for my height. Told them I was 48 kg, 1 yr ago when I had thyroid and looks so lousy. They suggested I should go for nutritional drinks. Do you think its workable?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kimmy! What? Optimal weight 49kg? You must be very small hah..hah... If you want to lose weight, cutting down on carbo works like magic. It's just that my willpower is not so strong these days. Eat more vege, some protein and less carbo. I am not so keen on meal replacements.

      Delete
  11. So nice of them to fulfill your request to give you vegetables instead of fries. I have never been to Windmill but don't think I will go because I seldom go to Subang area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pleasantly surprised too when they accommodated my request. That's good customer service.

      Delete
  12. Windmill have been around long time already. Yea...i like makan there.

    ReplyDelete