Friday 4 April 2014

Nutella Chiffon Cake


I had two bottles of Nutella with leftovers sticking to the sides and I did not know what to do with it. There must be about 100g plus of Nutella from the two bottles combined. It would be such a waste to throw it away. So I left the Nutella on its own and simply ignored it. And then Wendy came up with her Nutella Week series. Ahah, salvation!



But my Nutella was not enough to make all those wonderful things that Wendy did. One Friday evening at Tesco, I spotted a special offer on Nutella. So I grabbed a bottle. And what came out of it is this Nutella Chiffon Cake. 



It has been a while since I baked a chiffon cake and I was a little concerned if I had "lost" the technique and ruin the cake. As I remember, the highlight of baking a chiffon cake is the joy of seeing the cake rise in the oven. And that's exactly what I did, jumping up every 10 minutes or so to peek into the oven (almost burnt the tip of my nose) to check on my cake. That made very good exercise, don't you think?



The cake did rise and I breathed a sigh of relief. And being a natural born pessimist, I was worried if the cake would be done at 45 minutes (like my Pandan Chiffon Cake) or would it be under or overbaked. Thankfully, all my unnecessary paranoia was unfounded. 



The cake was nicely done and oh, the smell that wafted from the kitchen was so therapeutic. Think Nutella for your next aromatherapy session hah...hah....










Nutella Chiffon Cake
Recipe source : Adapted from Table for Two.....of More

Ingredients :
-120ml milk
- 200g Nutella
- 100g super fine flour (Or use self-raising flour)
- 1 tsp baking powder (Optional if using self-raising flour)
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 egg whites
- 60g sugar
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar (optional)

Method :
1. Heat milk and pour in into bowl together with Nutella. Stir to melt the Nutella. Set aside to cool.
2. Meanwhile, prepare a 22cm chiffon pan (do not grease) and preheat oven to 160C.
3. Mix superfine flour and baking powder and mix to combine and then sift.
3. When the Nutella mixture is cool, add egg yolks and vanilla extract and whisk to combine.
4. Sift in flour into the mixture and mix to combine until it forms a smooth batter.
5. Add cream of tartar to the egg whites and beat until frothy and gradually add sugar. Beat until stiff peak.
6. Take 1/3 of the egg white mixture and mix into the Nutella batter to lighten it.
7. Pour the remaining egg white mixture into the Nutella batter and gently fold the two batters until well combined (until you don't see anymore streaks).
8. Pour the batter into the chiffon pan and bake for 45 minutes or until done.


36 comments:

  1. Looks so soft and fine. Not a fan of Nutella on bread but I think I would love this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arthur, I think you will like it too. Chiffon cakes are nice to eat, so airy and light. But that's the problem. I can eat half a cake :(

      Delete
  2. how could you??!!! early in the morning and you are posting such a delicious cake over here!! i have not had my breakfast yet, you tau tak??!! hahahaha.. and even if i have had my breakfast, this would also make me drool as it can be such a perfect dessert lah.. i love Nutella, love the combination of hazelnut and chocolate.. aiyo, this chiffon cake looks so soft and fluffy, must be very very nice lah!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SK, next time ah eat first before you come here, ok? 8:28am and you still haven't eaten? I eat my breakfast before 7am. Efficient or not? Anyway, this chiffon cake is nice lah but Nutella is too expensive so I won't bake this too often unless if there is a good offer. But seriously, Nutella is so ho chiak!

      Delete
  3. So you baked this there is water ahh? Coz you crazy one, no water also got mood to bake.. For me ahh, if no water, I what mood also gone liao..
    Wait, two bottles of Nutella with leftovers sticking to the sides? The Phong Hongthat I know sure will dig the sides with fingers wor.. The Nutella can sit still ahh? If me, I won't "fong kor" the Nutella liao, left a bit at the sides, may as well just dig & lick with my fingers, finish it up, then habis cerita, teehee..
    I love your Nutella cake. It looks so light and refreshing.. I think easily I can finish the whole cake.. No joke.. My mum used to buy pandan and orange chiffon cakes from the market, and I can wallop 5 pieces easily.. Stuff the whole thing in the mouth pun boleh, coz it's so soft..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Louiz, you know me so well liao! Yes, that was what I would have done. Korek-korek the jar with my finger and eat the Nutella. But I am quite well behaved lately lah. I baked this cake when there was water. If not very susah because this one is not like zucchini cake. Need more bowls and more stuff to wash. Chiffon cake is full of air and that makes it so easy to wallop so many pieces. I think one whole cake also no problem :)

      Delete
    2. Out of topic I know, but I suddenly think of you.. My place kena water ration liao today.. Yes, started today.. The Catuan-4.. My place kena.. Selama hari nie, my place no kena, I talk loud loud tell others my place no kena.. Now, kena-ed already, damn! Start today and tomoro no water, Sunday & Monday got water, so on..
      Wana ask, they memang will "honour" their word and give water every 2 days? Your place kena how long already? So far they "honoured" the 2 days thingy?

      Delete
    3. Ngam-ngam I check my email :) My place kena since last month. OK, this is how it works. On the day when there is no water (eg for you today), the water supply is cut off at 9:00am (yours could be different time from minee). And on the day when water comes back (eg for you Sunday) the water supply comes on at 9:am.

      Yes, they honour their word and give water every 2 days. So far so good. For me this Saturday and Sunday got water. But I have to wait till 9:00am tomorrow for the taps to flow. So on Monday (no water), I can still get water up to 9:00am. I wake up early on such days to wash whatever than need washing and fill up my water distiller. If you plan properly, you will do fine. But so sian. Don't know how long this will go on.

      Delete
  4. It is always good to make use of the left over to do something else. Your chiffon cake looks really GOOOOOD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mel! I was glad that the cake turned out well and tasted so good :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Phong Hong,
    I grabbed two jars of Nutella last week from Tesco, it was on offer. But with my kids around, one jar is almost gone! I am a little "kiamsiap" when it comes to using Nutella in bakes!
    Maybe I should take advantage of it since it is on offer! Your chiffon cake looks delish and sure delicious with the Nutella in it! With one cup of hot Kopi-O, Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joyce! Aiyah, I did not go to Tesco last week. Or else I would also replenish my Nutella stash! Me too very "kiamsiap"with Nutella. It is so expensive but so delicious. I'll be on the look out for the next offer because I want to bake another Nutella cake :) Looks like I am not taking my diet too serioulsy hah...hah...

      Delete
  6. Hi Phong Hong, this Nutella chiffon looks so soft and spongy. The edges look crispy and neat. Did you remove the cake using 'bare hands' method like Sonia? Must learn the technique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kimmy! I actually don't know the bare hands method. Sonia mentioned that she will post it and I am also curious. I removed the cake the usual way by using metal spatula.

      Delete
  7. Hi Phong Hong, I'm a huge fan of nutella, this chiffon cake definitely look delightful and cottony soft. Well done, keep up the good job.

    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouragement, Amelia! I hear that you "tortured" Ivy and made her such a good baker. Hah...hah...

      Delete
  8. Love the beautiful texture of your nutella chiffon cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mich! I was quite relieved it turned out nicely.

      Delete
  9. we are not big fan of nutella, but your chiffon did looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sonia! Eh, when are you going to shows us the "bare hands" method to remove cake from pan?

      Delete
  10. Nutella aromatheraphy sounds nice!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, better than smelling dried flowers!

      Delete
  11. I like your chiffon cake they look so soft and spongy. It must be very yummy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow, that looks good! hope your nose is okay..i hv the same habit too when baking cookies especially that i hv to keep monitoring them..and i hv a feeling that if i do that often, it will darken my skin too..at one time i was baking a lot for consecutive days, i actually find myself getting tanner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lena, can get tan by the oven? There are times when I can feel the heat and scared my contact lens will melt hah...hah....

      Delete
  13. Phong Hong, your chiffon looks so soft and fluffy and being nutella flavored, my boy sure to eat this cake! But Nutella is soooo expensive! Want to bake also scared fail then such a waste!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeannie, don't worry. You won't fail!

      Delete
  14. Deliciosa y tentador cake esponjoso me encanta,abrazos

    ReplyDelete
  15. Phong Hong your chiffon cake looks very soft for sure. My kids have this habit of checking the oven every 2 mins whenever we bake together too. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yen, looks like I behave like a kid :)

      Delete
  16. Can imagine how good it smells with the generous amount of nutella going into it, would be great to have it for tea :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do try it because they are a real treat for Nutella lovers!

      Delete