Wednesday 2 April 2014

Chocolate Orange Butter Cake


I have baked this cake before here and I felt like baking it again but this time in a round pan. I tried to make a fancy pattern and obviously it didn't work hah...hah....and my cake cracked :( 



So many cracks arrghh!!!!

But it didn't really matter as overall, the cake turned out well. It was moist and tender. The sort of cake that you can't say no to and one that would most likely have you asking for a second slice.


The two artsy fartsy oranges in the background was inspired by a story I read a long time ago. It was Shogun, I think where the geisha used her long fingernails to peel an orange into a lotus for her Anjin san. But don't worry, I used a knife. No Anjin san in sight.

I have added two extra ingredients - orange juice and booze in the form of rum. I just recently discovered that rum with chocolate and orange is vavavoom! 



With 250g of butter and 250g of sour cream, this is indeed a very rich cake. The butter gave it a really beautiful aroma and the sour cream gave it a very moist and soft texture. There is no harm indulging in such richness once in a while. After all, if you are going to have a butter cake, you might as well have one that is worth the calories. 


Phong Hong ate her portion liao. Quick take the cake away!

Right? Right? Of course I am right. That's why I am fat in the first place. Don't do what I do. Have one slice (small one, ah?) and then walk away. Don't eat the cake while standing at the table with 90% of the cake in front of you. Because chances are the percentage of cake going inside you will increase. 10:90, 20:80, 30:70 and on it goes until you realize that you ate half the cake. And believe me, I am very capable of doing that. This recipe is a keeper and should you want to try a chocolate orange cake, this is the one!












Chocolate Orange Butter Cake 
Recipe source : Adapted from Lovely Butter Cakes (page 16)

Ingredients :

Ingredients A
- 250g butter (I used Golden Churn)
- 150g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- Zest of 1 orange
- Juice from 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence.

Ingredient B
- 250g self raising flour, sifted

Ingredients C
- 250ml sour cream

- 60g cooking chocolate (chopped and melted using double boiler)
- 1 tbsp rum (add to the melted chocolate)

Method :
1. Preheat oven at 160C. (Please adjust according to your oven)
2. Grease an 8" round baking pan with butter and sprinkle with flour. Set aside in the fridge.
3. Beat butter and add sugar. Beat until soft and fluffy.
4. Add eggs one at a time and beat well after each addition.
5. Add orange zest, orange juice and vanilla essence and beat till well combined.
6. Add ingredients B in four additions and sour cream in 3 additions. Beat well after each addition.
7. Take 1/2 of the batter and gently mix with the melted chocolate (do not overmix)
8. Alternate the plain and chocolate batter until all the batter is used up. Use a palette knife or skewer to marble the batter if you like.
9. Bake in preheated oven at 160C for 55-60 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center of cake comes out clean.
10. Remove from oven and unmould after 10 minutes and let cake continue to cool.




Photobucket

This post is linked to the event, Little Thumbs Up organised by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids and Doreen of My Little Favourite DIY and hosted by Ann of Anncoo Journal.

61 comments:

  1. I learn a new word today - vavavoom !! Rum and orange, sounds indeed vavavoom !! Haha..
    I don't know butter orange cake need to put sour cream wor, well, I learn another thing.. I am contented with butter orange cake already.. With chocolate added, yes, I can finish the whole cake! Can't say no to butter cake - always.
    Eh, I'm laughing so loud now reading your last paragraph.. Eh, don't always say yourself fat and what and all, show us your picture first !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Psssst, since you almost finished half the cake, "mm jang joi" you finish the whole cake, then "kam yuen" lor, no need to "I stare at you, you stare at me" scenario..
      I know if the came is still there, you wana faster finish it.. Else, macam cannot sit still coz the cake is still there.. "chut yat gau, yap yat gau" (go out one piece, go in another piece).. Sanfu leh...
      May as well just finish the whole thing, then finish story..

      Delete
    2. Louiz, if I had my way, I would have finished the whole cake. It was so good, not that I am blowing my own trumpet :) I am fat lah, don't believe kah? I am struggling to lose excess weight but I can't resist baking and "tasting". What to do, having a food blog is no good for dieting.

      Delete
    3. Eh, I am laughing now.. You always say you are fat.. Ok, I belif you.. Come, show us your picture first..

      Delete
  2. Yummy cake. Looks so delicious and very soft...chocolate and orange, watta lovely combo..I can imagine a lovely taste...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Priya! This is a good cake. Hope you try it!

      Delete
  3. I love marble butter cake but Ive never put another flavour combination into it. I know I will definitely love the orange citrus flavour it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel, this combination is really good and I hope that you will try it. I guarantee you will not regret!

      Delete
  4. aiyoyo!! another delicious cake you are showing us!! i love the combination of orange and chocolate, that little hint of that zesty taste blends so well with the velvety chocolatey taste.. and awww, how i love your cake, moist enough and it is like whispering to me "come on boy, come and eat me!! i am so delicious"~~ :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SK, my cake can talk, ah? Hah..hah...yes, this is a good combination of chocolate and orange. I used to dislike orange flavoured cakes but am now converted. Chocolate and orange is a smashing combination. Now I am thinking of baking it again. see liao!

      Delete
  5. I'm up for your cake! Want to "da bao" some now, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessie, please "da bao" so that I won't overindulge!

      Delete
  6. Hi Phong Hong,

    Cracks on your cake??? I have to look very closely to spot them :p Sorry, old lady got bad eye sights... All I see a delicious butter cake!

    You are so funny with the two artsy fartsy oranges's story! I can't help laughing like a mad woman in front of my computer!!!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zoe, you old lady? That makes me ancient hah...hah.....Ah..that old story, I was in secondary school when I read it :D

      Delete
  7. With such a whole of expensive ingredients it'd better be good huh! I love the fine crumbs, I keep squinting to get a closer look! I didn't stop at one piece with my marble cake so I don't think I can stop at one with this one too lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeannie, this cake very "lemak" and seriously cannot stop at one slice!

      Delete
  8. Phong Hong I agree with you. Butter cake needs to be super buttery ya... so dont have to be shy with the butter in the first place :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yen, these days I appreciate good quality butter and I always use Golden Churn for proper butter cakes. I used to hate the smell. Weird, huh?

      Delete
  9. Sounds great combo! Make me feel like baking butter cake now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vivian, I hope that you try this cake. It is really thumbs up!

      Delete
  10. Looks like marble...plus the orange. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Phong Hong, that's a very moist and super soft cake. Look awesome, great combo! Keep up the good job. The little bit crack never mind lah... there are various reason due to crack.
    1/ Over folding of cake batter 2/ Oven temperature too hot 3/ Batter too watery.

    Happy baking.
    Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amelia! Thanks for the tips, I will make the necessary adjustments when I next bake a butter cake :)

      Delete
  12. Nice combination though I have not tried that myself..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahem...funny enough I feel cracked cake taste nicer. The top part more crunchy leh.


    Normal butter cake if sliced then throw into toaster oven n brown it a bit nice to eat :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, my mum likes to toast cake in the toaster oven. Should be nice with ice-cream hmmmm......

      Delete
  14. Hi Phong Hong, I don't mind the cracks on the cake. Wish I can have an afternoon tea with you to enjoy this lovely cake.
    Thank you for your support to LTU :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann, that way I'll have someone to share the calories with hah...hah....

      Delete
  15. sometimes I also just can't stop:) especially as it looks so delicious:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ola, the only way is to share the cake with family and friends or else.....

      Delete
  16. Hi Phong Hong, orange and chocolate blend well with each other. I know it's nice. Can spare a piece, ah?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimmy, I would love to give you a piece!

      Delete
  17. A lovely butter cake that will be difficult to resist, good flavor combination and fine texture! Will keep this in mind and bake it when i have more around to share with to keep the percentage going inside me low :))

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thats an awesome cake dear... Drooling here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vimitha! If you have oranges, give this cake a go!

      Delete
  19. Yumsy! I love orange butter cakes! In a round pan... Just like those these sell in one of the bread shops

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Victoria! Yes, somehow for me, a cake should be round :)

      Delete
  20. Hi Phong Hong,
    Your cake looks really moist and yummy, my kinda butter cake!
    I agree with you with all that butter, that is what makes a cake extra yummy! haha!
    And I love using rum in bakes!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joyce! This cake is unbelievably good. It was so good, I couldn't stop eating hah..hah....

      Delete
  21. That's a good combination of flavours and I can understand why one can't stop at one piece only!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheah! It is an amazing flavour combo. I have got to bake this cake again :)

      Delete
  22. Love this combination of chocolate and orange! You can't go wrong with this combo! Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking for other bakes that use orange and chocolate :)

      Delete
  23. Phong Hong, I adore your buttery rum cake...so moist and delicious with the addition of the sour cream. Wonderful recipe...thanks for sharing, dear friend! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elisabeth! It is always a pleasure to share good food! If only you could taste this cake, my friend!

      Delete
  24. Hi Phong Hong,any more leftover? I come to sapu all, hehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  25. The texture of your cake is really beautiful. Look at all those soft crumbs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mich! It was very soft and tender. It is a good recipe.

      Delete
  26. i dont mind some cracks in my cake as long as it is not dry ..i also just did a chocolate orange cake few weeks ago but a little different, the chocolate is added to the whole batter. btw, i can really see how moist the cake is! also your comment on my mee tup makes me want to fall! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lena, I looks forwards to your cake. Yeah, it sounded like a small kid saying "mee sup" as "mee tup" LOL!

      Delete
  27. Hello Phong Hong, I thought for butter cakes should have cracks ?!?. Hee hee I'm an amateur to baking world but once a friend who's good in baking cakes told me: 'chiffon & sponge cakes no cracks butter cakes the more cracks the merrier'. Will try out your recipe chocolate + orange as my teens love chocolates. Thanks for the sharing. Karen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen! There is one butter cake recipe - the Mrs SK Ng's recipe that is crack proof. But most butter cakes or pound cakes have that characteristic crack. Yes, do try the chocolate and orange cake because it is very good. Your teens will love the cake, I promise!

      Delete
  28. Hi Phong Hong,
    I love buttery butter cakes.
    Don't worried about the cracks cause I know your butter cake is super yummy ;D
    mui

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, mui mui! You are so sweet :)

      Delete
  29. Hi madam phong hong, i just found u'r blog. This cake looks yummy.. Gulp!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hazinra! This cake is good. You can try it and let me know if you like it :)

      Delete