Saturday 20 April 2013

Singgang Tulang Lembu (Kelantan Beef Ribs Soup)


I really did not know what to expect when I set out to cook Singgang Tulang Lembu. This recipe comes from Azie Kitchen and being a beef lover I figured that maybe, just maybe I might like this soup. Looking at the ingredients, there are some aromatics used such as lengkuas (galangal), ginger and corriander seeds. But still, as this is the first time I will be tasting Singgang Tulang, I was apprehensive but as they say, never try, never know.


Azie's recipe does not provide amounts of ingredients used and this is understandable. As home cooks, we rely on "agak-agak" (estimates) and it is really quite tedious if we set out to measure our ingredients. So what I did was use a bit of imagination when I cooked this soup.

The coriander seeds will sink to the bottom once the soup is cooked.

This is quite an easy soup to cook. Everything is put into the pot and boiled until the beef is tender. I should have put the coriander seeds into a muslin bag as it would make it easier to remove. But since most of the seeds sank to the bottom of the pot, I can just avoid scooping the last bits of the soup.


I couldn't get meaty beef ribs so I just made do with frozen beef bones. There's some meat on it and the amount is just nice. What I did was to boil the beef bones first to clean it from blood and scum. Then I rinsed it before boiling it together with the other ingredients.

I was a bit careless and scooped up the coriander seeds at the bottom of the pot.

As the soup simmered, the aroma of lengkuas, ginger and coriander wafted through my kitchen. It was a very pleasant smell and I was somewhat assured that this soup would be good.

Not an attractive looking soup but has very robust flavors.

It took about 2 and a half hours for the beef to become tender. When I tasted the soup, wow, very nice flavours! It reminded me of another soup which is Sup Bunjut. I kept some of the soup and reheated it the next day and the soup tasted even better. The aromas of the lengkuas, ginger and coriander had fully penetrated the meat and there was none of the usual beefy smell. I was very happy that the soup turned out very well. If I cook this again, I guess there is no harm if I added carrots and potatoes.










Singgang Tulang Lembu
Recipe source : Adapted from Azie Kitchen

- 1.2kb beef bones/beef ribs
- 10 shallots, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1.5 inch lengkuas/galangal, sliced
- 1.5 inch old ginger, sliced
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds, lightly crushed (put in muslin cloth if preferred)
- 1 piece asam keping/asam gelugor
- 5 dried chillies, washed (no need to soak)
- 1 liter water or more
- Salt and seasoning to taste (I used Maggi all purpose seasoning only)

Method :
1. To clean the beef ribs, rinse and boil for about 10 minutes.
2. Drain and rinse the beef ribs.
3. Put the ribs and all other ingredients except salt/seasoning into pot.
4. Bring to a boil and lower heat to simmer.
5. Simmer for about 2 to 3 hours until beef is tender.
6. Season to taste.


I am submitting this post to Malaysian Food Fest Kelantan Month hosted by Gertrude of My Kitchen Snippets.

44 comments:

  1. baru baca jer air liur I dah cair macam ice jatuh atas hot stove!...ni yang takleh tahan ni. I percaya if orang tutup mata lalu belakang dapur you, sure mati2 dia ingat dia dah lalu belakang rumah orang Melayu...apalagi bila dengar you cakap pulak...haiii....teringinnya nak berbual ngan you hehehe...

    kalau you nak tau, I sanggup tunggu 2-3 jam masak tulang sebab I penakut nak guna pressure cooker, serius! ada 2 barangan dapur yang I cukup takut sekali nak guna, iaitu pressure cooker ngan microwave! jangan tanya kenapa, mmg takut semulajadi, I tak kisah kalau orang cakap I ni kuno ker, ketinggalan zaman ker... hihihi...

    thank you to you and Azie for the recipe ya..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Q, naper you takut pressure cooker? Takut meletop macam kat Boston tu? I selama ni tak pernah pakai pressure cooker. Microwave tu kira ok lah tapi I cuba kurangkan penggunaan. Actually tak pakai pun takper, saje sebab kekadang nak cepat panaskan makanan. Selalunya kalau masak daging, I pakai slow cooker. Elok sebab boleh biarkan dia selama 3-4 jam tak payah risau air dia kering atau hangus.

      Delete
    2. pssst, sebenarnya I trauma la...few years ago, I pi umah aunty kat s'pore, anak dia (my cousin la kan) kawen...pastu my aunty tu masak apa ntah dlm pressure cooker, I percaya dia tersilap method ker apa, masa nak bukak penutup periuk tu, penutup tu terpelanting ngan kuatnya ke muka dia...masa tu I betul2 tengah berdiri kat sebelah dia...punyalah terperanjat sampai rasa nak terkencing you...

      my aunty kena 6 jahitan kat bibir dia...

      walaupun I tau itu kes terpencil, tapi takper laaa....kirim salam jer la kat apa2 pressure cooker....

      bila you ckp pasal slow cooker, terpikir pulak nak ada sebijik...biasa la pompuan...kan? hek3

      Delete
    3. I think your aunty bukak cooker terlalu cepat sebelum tekanan dah turun. Kesian dia. Patutlah you takut. I pun tak nak lah dengan pressure cooker. Macam you lah, pakai kirim salam je dah cukup hee..hee...

      Delete
  2. The first photo already proven that this is so delicious (my mouth start to watering and drooling at a glance of the first pic!). I love to eat beef, so I don't have to say anymore that this is my kind of food I like ~ but nowadays the days are so hot so better not have beef for the time being first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel, if you like beef then I think you sure will like this soup. You are right, beef quite heaty so should avoid for time being.

      Delete
  3. Looks really good. Macam ada potatoes inside?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arthur, those things that look like potatoes are actually lengkuas. Next time, I intend to put potatoes and carrots.

      Delete
  4. Nampak sedapnya..makan dengan nasi banyak banyak pun tak cukup..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! Hah! Tak payah makan nasi, Sonia. Just the sup sudah cukup kenyang :)

      Delete
  5. Wow-Wow what a delicious soup I always love this kind of soup .last time whenever I go over to Mak ee's house she will always insist that I eat this soup her maid always made it you ni sekagan bagnok pandai masok.lebeh pandai dari aku

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ee-Ee, this soup reminded me of a soup that you cooked when me and the boys were very young. I think it was a chicken soup. Very nice flavors, don't know if you remember.

      Delete
  6. Hi Phong,
    This is an interesting dish. I don't eat beef, and it is interesting that it uses coriander seeds. With the herbs and spices, this must be very flavourful indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyce, it is very flavorful. I think it would also work with kambing.

      Delete
  7. I actually never make soup using beef ribs before. Does it taste like the sup kambing sell at the mamak stall? By the way, thanks for your support on the MFF event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gertrude, this is similar to the sup kambing. But sup kambing has more spices like cardamom, cloves and cinnamon. It's my pleasure to participate in MFF, it is a lot of fun learning new recipes :)

      Delete
  8. complimenti piatto ottimo!!!!un saluto...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wanted to make soup today, but instead made pork. I should have seen this earlier, this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathleen, you can cook soup another day!

      Delete
  10. Mmm...I love this kind of beef soup! Looks very delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, it is full of flavours. I was very pleasantly surprised and delighted. Will be cooking it again :)

      Delete
  11. Oh!!! This Sup Tulang simply delicious and mouthwatering!!!!! I have bring my mangkuk here for this soup :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Esther, make sure it is a big mangkuk!

      Delete
  12. I love sup kambing so I should love this soup too huh, sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeannie, yes this soup also can use for cooking sup kambing.

      Delete
  13. Wow, another mouth-watering stew, Phong Hong. Your blog is full of these lovely recipes, sure go away hungry after visiting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mich! Hah! Hah! You should try this soup if you like beef. Has good flavours.

      Delete
  14. Ayo this soup sounds delicious, i would love to flood this over some steam rice. Best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Esther! It is a good soup and I intend to cook it again.

      Delete
  15. i m totally agree when u write "never try, never know" since its happen to me before..haha! my hubby side is fr kelantan & when my SIL prepare this menu 4 d 1st time i tasted it was macam jatuh cinta pandang pertama..tinggg! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wah, I am not surprised lah because I also fell in love with this soup. I am craving to have the soup again :)

      Delete
  16. i dont know why you said it doesnt look nice in fb..it looks good to me la..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya kah? Thanks, Lena. I thought it looked dull.

      Delete
  17. Hi Phong Hong, wah... got delicious sup tulang... Aiyah... I come in so late..... Was busy with my work lately no time to update my blog too. This soup must take while it's hot, eat until sweating lagi shiok. LOL

    Best regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amelia, no more soup, not a single drop left! I am very busy too, so stressed sometimes :)

      Delete
  18. Phong Hong,
    Warm and hearty soup tulang right?
    II brought steam rice for this slurp slurp soup :D
    mui

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mui mui, no need to bring rice. I will cook some for your :) I think this soup will be even better with potatoes and carrots.

      Delete
  19. Replies
    1. Thanks Kak Azie for the recipe! I should really cook it again :)

      Delete