Wednesday 24 April 2013

Nasi Minyak Kelantan (Kelantan Ghee Rice)


I was looking for the Kelantan version of Nasi Minyak and  I came across Nasi Minyak Mak Aji Kelantan. I love Nasi Minyak very much because it is so delicious. I think I can easily eat two plates of Nasi Minyak if it is served with Ayam Masak Merah, Ayam Masak Pedas or Kuzi Ayam :) And if there is Acar Timun Mentah or Pajeri Nenas, I say, you will see me fixed to the dining table hah! hah!


Plain without raisins and fried shallots.

Being a Nasi Minyak maniac, I have looked at many recipes and my observation is that the ingredients used are pretty much the same with only minor variations from state to state.  For example, this Kelantan version contains tomato sauce. 

The recipe doesn't mention using any coloring but I decided to use some yellow colouring after looking at Azie's Nasi Minyak. The original intention was for the Nasi Minyak to look like Azie's, i.e. only certain spots are deep yellow. But I don't know what happened and the rice all turned yellow with certain spot having a deeper colour. I followed the correct procedure but maybe I stirred the rice too soon. But it looked nice :)


I did not have lemongrass, so I did not use any.

Nasi Minyak is actually very easy to cook. You just need onions, ginger, garlic, lemongrass, pandan and the 4 essential spices. Saute these till fragrant, add rice and then transfer everything to the rice cooker. It is an impressive dish which will wow your guests.


How could anybody resist this delicious rice.

To saute the ingredients, I have used a mix of ordinary cooking oil and ghee because even though I appreciate the aroma of ghee, I can't tolerate too much of it as it can be overpowering. You can also omit ghee if you don't have it.


Acar Timun Mentah.

I served this Nasi Minyak with Ayam Masak Pedas, Pajeri Nenas and Acar Timun Mentah (recipe below). It was a heavenly meal :)









Nasi Minyak Kelantan
Recipe source : Adapted from Cik Ro at Myrecipe.com

Ingredients :
- 2 cups Basmati rice
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- Salt to taste (I did not add salt)

- 1 big onion (a small sized one, finely sliced)
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 inch ginger, finely minced
- 3 cloves
- 1 star anise
- 2 cardamom
- 1/2" cinnamon stick
- 1 pandan leaf, knotted
- 4 tablespoons tomato sauce

- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon ghee

- some yellow coloring (optional)

Garnishing (optional)
- some fried shallots, made from 5 shallots
- 2 tablespoons raisins, briefly fried in the oil used to fry shallots, to plump them up

Method :
- Wash and drain Basmati rice and set aside.
- Heat oil/ghee in wok and saute onions, garlic, ginger, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon stick and pandan until fragrant and onions are wilted.
- Add rice and stir to ensure rice is well coated with the sauteed ingredients and oil.
- Transfer to rice cooker and add water, milk, tomato sauce and salt.
- Cook the rice as you would normally do.
- If you wish to use colouring, pour colouring at 3 spots on surface of the rice the moment the rice is cooked. DO NOT STIR yet. Cover and leave for 10-15 minutes.
- Stir the rice to loosen the grains and to distribute the coloured grains evenly.
- Garnish with fried shallots and raisins if using.

Note : If using raisins, plump them up by frying them briefly in hot oil.













Acar Timun Mentah
Recipe source : Adapted from Azie Kitchen

Ingredients :
- 2 medium sized cucumbers.
- 1 big onions, finely sliced
- 1 red chilli, sliced
- 1 green chilli, sliced
- 1 cup vinegar (240 ml)
- 1 tablespoon sugar or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste

Method :
1. Cut the cucumbers into 4 and remove the pith.
2. Cut into 1" strips.
3. Put cut cucumbers, onions and chillies into a mixing bowl.
4. Mix vinegar, sugar and salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
5. Pour vinegar mixture into the mixing bowl and toss to mix.
6. Taste and adjust seasoning of necessary.

Note : It is not necessary to boil the vinegar. I did that to speed up the pickling process. I usually prepare this acar one day ahead before serving.

Served with Ayam Masak Pedas, Acar Timun Mentah and Pajeri Nenas.

I am submitting this post to Malaysian Food Fest Kelantan Month hosted by Gertrude of My Kitchen Snippets.

48 comments:

  1. I like all kinds of savory rice including this one but never try making this. I only get to eat it at Malay wedding. Thanks for participating in the MFF event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gertrude, there are so many variations to this type of rice. I love it a lot. Too much in fact :)

      Delete
  2. Looking good! Love the way you serve the Nasi Minyak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vivian! I had a very satisfying lunch :)

      Delete
  3. Ini nasi minyak banyak sedap....next time I can cook this rice to go with rendang... Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Li Shuan, it is banyak sedap! Will go well with rendang and your ayam masak merah.

      Delete
  4. Mine's a simpler version. Nice too... Everyone's favourite at my open houses with curry and stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arthur, I find that even the simpler version tastes good. I love this kind of rice dish :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Phong Hong,
    If I did not know any better, I would have thought that I am looking at a photo of a restaurant advertising their plate of delicious nasi minyak complete with chicken, paceri nenas and acar! Looks delish! You could open a restaurant with all the dishes you featured for the Malaysia Fest! I'll be the first to queue! To makan and ta-pau! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! Hah! Thanks, Joyce! I don't think I have the energy to run a restaurant that's why I prefer to use my calculator to make a living hah! hah! That way, cooking stays fun and really helps me to de-stress :)

      Delete
  6. Phong hong, I like this nasi minyan kelantan very much, will try it out this weekend :) thank you for sharing !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Esther, do try it and you won't regret! I can guarantee you will have second helpings :)

      Delete
  7. well explained dear..your choice of recipes are so interesting..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank, PT! I love this type of rice dish including biryanis. Yums!

      Delete
  8. Very nicely plated that even I who do not eat much rice am drooling over this rice dish! Would you believe it if I tell you I do not own a rice cooker? lol! that's how little rice I eat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeannie, that's great! I am not supposed to eat so much carbs. Maybe I should throw away the rice cooker hah! hah!

      Delete
  9. This is a lovely way to do rice. Please drop me a line on ca4ole@gmail.com if it is ok with you if I link to it on my blog, Carole's Chatter. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  10. Phong Hong, you are tempting me with your nasi again! I like the idea that you eat them with some sultanas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessie, nasi minyak usually is served with some raisins mixed in to give it a nice sweet flavour. I will be cutting down on nasi soon. Broke my diet pledge so I must redeem myself!

      Delete
  11. A loh nampok sedaknya makes me lau nyior titek titek must try to cook tomorrow lucky use rice cooker to cook or else habis for me don't know how to cook in a pot.next time when I go back I will squat near to your kitchen with a empty offering bowl and ask for sedikoh hoping you will give me your left over food.When you hear someone chant OM_OM then you will know it's me waiting for your yummy food

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi dear friend, I like rice but I don't take Ghee, can I substitute with some other oil? Lately, I had tomato rice at a 'Kenduri', I think they used Ghee. Didn't quite like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimmy, you can either use margarine or just ordinary cooking oil will do. The fragrance of the onions and spices is what matters. Yah, some people can't tolerate the smell of ghee. If it is too much I also feel pening :)

      Delete
    2. PH, tumpang lalu to Kimmy..

      Kimmy, as far as I am concerned, ghee yang digunakan di ordinary kenduri kawen tu yang murah punya, but QBB is the best! I pun tak suka ghee selain QBB, baunya kuat!
      kebanyakan caterer lokek nak keluarkan modal sikit, mereka nak jimat modal tapi nak untung banyak, so mereka guna bahan2 yang murah,lagi murah lagi baik, janji duit penuh masuk poket, yes this is true..

      and they used cheaper ghee in total, so the smell more heavy! u can try oil, qbb and planta, and compare the difference...happy cooking!

      Delete
    3. oops lupa nak ucap terimakasih kat tuan rumah pulak, sorry ya PH, terimakasih to you...:)

      Delete
    4. Sama-sama kasih, yang ooi!

      Delete
  13. Oh wow, I didn't know it used evaporated milk and tomato paste. I used butter in mine. Next time would try it with tomato paste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many variations with different ingredients used. There are also recipes which use margarine.

      Delete
  14. This rice looks delicious! I definitely want to try it out. Love rice cooker recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mich, I don't know how to cook rice without the rice cooker :)

      Delete
  15. Yes, cannot resist! Everything on the plate looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, and it calls for a second helping :)

      Delete
  16. wow PH, memang nampak lazat dan meriah warna warninya...
    dunia masakan memang indah kan, kita ada pelbagai cara dan rupa masakan atas nama yg sama..
    kagum ngan you ni...wlp sibuk kerja ofis tp tetap sempat nak cuba masak itu masak ni... untung la siapa jadi anak dan suami you...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Q, terima kasih! Masak-masak ni lah yang buat I happy dan tenang lepas banyak tension kat ofis :)

      Delete
  17. dont know whether i told you bfore that i've never eaten nasi minyak before? i am also not sure if i like the taste of ghee in the rice ..but one thing for certain, that dish of yours above do look heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lena, you should try nasi minyak one day. It is delicious. If the ghee used is of good quality and fresh, it is aromatic.

      Delete
  18. Hi Phong Hong, your nasi minyak sure look very inviting and nice colour. If you invite me... I sure ask you for 2 plates, please. LOL

    The cucumber salad anytime I can hantam 1 big bowl too. Very tempting and hard to stop eating. :)

    best regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amelia, that makes 2 of us! Must cook one big pot of rice :D

      Delete
  19. Phong Hong,
    I love love love your Nasi Minyak, AMP, Acar timun and nenas pajeri. Just right for lunch now:D
    Can I order 1 set please...lol
    mui

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mui mui, one order coming up! Extra sauce!

      Delete
  20. Oooo this one I like...yumz....one fine day gonna try out this

    Errr....if done cook in rice cooker can right? Just steam. My ricd cooker sotplug a bit. Refused to cook if got oil.

    Thanks gor the tip on raisin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can cook it on the stove in a pot. The reason why I transfer to rice pot is because I don't know how to cook on the stove. Scared burn :)

      Delete
  21. Hi dear, I loved your nasi minyak recipe. it looks so delicious! I l need to cook it for a party of about 50 people very soon. So afraid how it might turn out. Can you please help me with the amount of ingredients for 50 people. Thank you so much dear. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there! Wow, 50 people? The above recipe serves 4 to 5 people. I guess you could multiply to suit 50. I was very happy with this recipe and I hope it works out for you and your lucky guests!

      Delete
    2. Hi dear, I hope I'm not bothering you too much but does that mean all the ingredients, I just multiply by 10 for 50 people. Also another query. If cooked in a rice cooker, does this nasi minyak Kelantan stick to the bottom of the rice cooker because I have encountered this before with other recipes and I ended up scraping the burnt rice at the bottom of the cooker. Thanks a lot dear.

      Delete
    3. No bother at all, I am glad to assist. I guess the multiplying will work. As for the rice sticking, this is what I do. When the indicator pops up when the rice is cooked, I immediately switch off the rice cooker. That way, the bottom does not develop a crust. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  22. Nice post lovely blog people will attract to see this nice post.

    ReplyDelete