Friday 19 April 2013

Chilli Bean Roasted Chicken Wings


It's income tax season in Malaysia! Yes, that time of year for hair pulling and face clawing, running helter skelter looking for your receipts and what not to make claims for reliefs and rebates. What fun! Actually, if you put in place a system to organize your receipts and whatever, it's not that bad. I hang a nice little organizer in my study and as and when I incur a claimable expense, I slot my receipts and any other relevant items in there.


Things like dividend vouchers, medical and life insurance statements, receipts for books etc. won't go missing again. Come March and April, I can easily retrieve my documents. But of course there are situations when you may have your documents in place, but motivation to actually start doing your returns is another matter. I always like to get my tax filing out of the way, pay my dues and get on with my life.


When the e-filing system opened on 1 March 2013, I was all revved up to get my returns in. Call me mad but beating deadlines is my only form of extreme sports and I didn't realize that I was that competitive. But alas, as well organized as I was, I missed out my Dad's medical bill which my Mum (from whom I inherited the genes for good organization) had put inside my Dad's medical folder.


The next day, 2 March 2013 (a Saturday), I sat in front of my computer and logged in. When I hit the send button, what I got was a  system error message. Alamak! The system was not ready for me. Hmmmph! No matter, this can wait. It's not as if the Lembaga Hasil Dalam Negeri (Inland Revenue Board) was giving out prizes to the first tax return filed.


Come Monday morning, I filed my returns. The folks at the LHDN must be wondering who is this mad cow. If only we had more taxpayers like this one. Hee..hee....So what do chicken wings have to do with all this? A celebration of course! For getting my tax affairs sorted out early and fulfilling my responsibility as a taxpayer.

The marinade for the wings is the one I used for my Chilli Bean Roasted Chicken.


Chilli Bean Roasted Chicken Wings
Recipe source : Phong Hong

Ingredients :
- 10 chicken wings, cleaned and pat dry

Marinade :

- 5 cloves garlic, finely pounded
- 1" ginger, finely pounded
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons light soya sauce
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon chilli bean sauce
- 1 tablespoon black vinegar
- 1 tablespoon oil

Method :
1. In a mixing bowl, mix all the marinade ingredients together.
2. Pat dry the chicken wings and put them in a freezer bag.
3. Pour marinade into the bag, seal and using your hands, move the wings around to coat evenly with the marinade.
4. Leave to marinate in the fridge at least 4 hours of overnight.
5. Before roasting, bring the wings out to come to room temperature.
6. Preheat oven to 180C.
7. Line a baking tray with aluminum foil.
8. Arrange chicken wings in a single layer and roast for 30-40 minutes or until wings are cooked and browned.
9. Baste with excess marinate every 10 minutes and turn the wings at half time.


48 comments:

  1. It is good to file your tax early. We too filed them in March rather than waiting till the very last min. You should see the post office line on the 15th April. Right out to the door. Man. The wings look so good! I never thought of using bean paste this way except in stew or stir fry. I will try this out soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gertrude, last year heh..heh..I did mine on the last day because I was so kelam kabut with other things. From now on I will do it super early.

      Delete
  2. So many ways to cook chicken wings, all so nice...even the roadside Malay stalls...and so much nicer than KFC - wonder why people want to go to those places.

    I don't pay tax - they do not even bother to send me the form - my income too low. Sobsssss!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arthur, you are retired already mah...Your pension would be exempted from tax, so no need to send you the form lah heh..heh...I never liked chicken wings until very much later. Now I enjoy them a lot.

      Delete
  3. I always file last min lol. The chicken wing looks really delicious, feel like eating now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess, some people find it exciting to file last minute hah! hah! So on 30th April you can eat chicken wings after sending your returns hah! hah!

      Delete
  4. Oh wow, the roast chicken wings look extremely finger licking goooood! Eventhough have not tasted it but I already knew this must be very flavourful and the spicy kick in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel, the taste is quite good! You must try it :)

      Delete
  5. These look finger licking good, Phong Hong. I could eat a dozen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mich, I love chicken wings too! Sometimes I can get the big ones and I can only eat 6 of those and feel so full.

      Delete
  6. Phong Hong,I enjoy reading your post and you really make me laugh lah!!!!
    I am a good citizen/taxpayer, I have submitted my e-Be two days ago,so now we can celebrate together, more chicken wings please!!!!! hahaha....

    ReplyDelete
  7. hihihi nice post dear.....and nice chic wings....have a gud wkend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, GK! This would go well with your lettuce because I need my veggies :)

      Delete
  8. aiyoyo, these wings look so yummy, I have never roast chicken wing with chilli, must try this out one day.

    This yr I'm going to do my tax return quick quick...I know I have been paying lots, time for me to claim back.hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Li Shuan, if you have tax refund then should faster do it and get your money back. Then after that you can enjoy your chicken wings :)

      Delete
  9. spicy looks & had honey too..it must be sedaplah! nak seketui..hehe.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahaha, nice to have this yummy chicken wings after clear the tax right ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sonia, clear tax already hati banyak senang but sakit also because still got balance to pay.

      Delete
  11. Good for you PH for getting this yearly pain out of the way, i think my hubby is still silently waiting for me to start doing his company accounts :(((

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Esther, somehow we are good getting our better half's tax returns done right? Heh! Heh!

      Delete
  12. Geram, I'm having sorethroat again. Actually, I haven't had sorethroat for 2 months already, hehe. Roasted chicken wings is my favourite! They look so delicious, Phong Hong! You had done a great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessie, too heaty kah? Must eat or drink something more cooling. Somehow roasted chicken wings are so nice to eat. It feels like a party when I make chicken wings :)

      Delete
  13. waahhahaha! ini macam memang patut dapat hadiah! ini la contoh warga negara setia! heheh

    honestly, I memang malas nak buat tu semua, just imagine - dengan everyday punya jual beli, bills dah tebal macam tilam! so I just filed and send all the bills to sorang accountant kat bank, ask her to do for me...this year upah dia rm600! last year rm500 hehehe...nak tunggu one of my son jadi accountant lama lagi...dia baru umur 15 tahun sekarang, tapi sikit2 dah boleh buat simpankira, dulu pun I amik commerce, belajar ledger, credits debits, buka and tutup kira2...tapi....hmm....akhirnya masuk dapur jer...kira kepala ayam dan kepala ikan..


    bila you tulis pasal incometax, kan, kepala I mula la gebung gebungggg...bengangggg..
    tapi bila tengok kepak ayam yang tertonggeng sexy, moist, berkilat...aduiii terus clear semua fikiran! hahaha...sedap betul tuuu....

    psst I ingat nak belajar e-filing jugak la...jimat sikit, kan? thanks for this post ya..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya lah Q, LHDN patut bagi pingat! Mana ada orang yang tak sabar-sabar hantar borang income tax, kan? Hah! Hah! I ada terbaca you punya post pasal you tak suka simpankira. Itu I punya fevret, debit, credit, baki bawa ke bawah, baki bawa ke hadapan, baki lintang pukang, tu lah yang I minat. Cikgu I dulu cakap "Simpankira ni senang aje. Kita simpan-simpan kemudian kita kira". Bila dah jadi akauntan, minat pulak masuk ke dapur. Kalau dah tau, patut ambik je Sains Rumahtangga. Tapi mak I tak kasi, dia cakap kena belajar commerce. Nasib lah....

      Delete
    2. hahaha...I paling suka baki terus masuk ke poket ku....hiew3..

      Delete
    3. Betul, Q! Yang masuk poket yang paling best :) :) :)

      Delete
  14. Hi PH, this looks a more simple dish for me to prepare during PRU13 campaigning. Can prepare ahead and get my hubby to cook them. Me 'KPC' offered to help at a candidate's centre. So come next week, should be BC day and nite...Luckily, the LHDN part is settled already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimmy, at first I thought you are the one campaigning hah! hah! You will definitely be busy, this PRU 13 is very exciting :)

      Delete
  15. Wow, wonder where the motivation to complete tax papers so early come from, really , LHDN will be smiling to have a few more like you. Amazing efficiency. Love chicken wings, and that definitely looks good for a celebration, waiting for a big reason to celebrate soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last year I did mine last minute on the last day. Very stressful so I decided that I just want to get if off my back :) I think can just make the chicken wings, no need to wait. Just celebrate for no reason hah! hah!

      Delete
  16. Hi Phong Hong,
    Yes, I do keep the bills in packets of envelopes, the problem is I keep "creating" new envelopes, and all became kelam-kabut! Hahaha! Anyway, the tax return are done by my hubby, I am not tax payable anymore, unemployed-lah! Your chicken wings looks so delicious! I would give any reason for a celebration just so I could devour them! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyce, better to stick to one envelope per year :) A big envelope hah! hah! No need any reason to make the chicken wings. Just make and eat!

      Delete
  17. Looks so tempting. wish to grab one now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vimitha, sometimes I also wish I can grab stuff off the screen. Hah! Hah!

      Delete
  18. mouthwatery dear :) wish i could grab those pieces :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! Hah! PT, if only we can grab food from the screen :)

      Delete
  19. When it comes to tax and numbers, dun mess with the accountant! And this accountant can cook too!

    This post reminds me of the chicken wing comments by our dear Arthur some time ago... LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alvin, I remember Arthur's comments. So I made sure my chicken wings look like chicken wings hah! hah!

      Delete
  20. I love chicken wings! This marinade looks nice, a bit spicy- think my mum would like it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. i need to learn to be more organised like you. tell you, i can be very messy sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lena, it is OK to be messy and relaxed sometimes lah. Being organised can be stressful too because I get upset when things don't go as I have planned.

      Delete
  22. Hi Phong Hong, this chicken wings really finger licking good. I guess 4 pieces also not enough for me. LOL Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amelia, between both of us, I better roast more wings so that we don't fight. Hah! Hah!

      Delete
  23. Phong Hong,
    I love spicy chicken wings!
    Yours looks so finger licking good!
    Ya lor! It's better to submit tax early then kelan kabut last minute..:p
    mui

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mui mui, I can enjoy my chicken wings and relax and not worry about my tax hah! hah! Will make roast some more chicken wings soon :)

      Delete