Friday 12 April 2013

Asian Peanut Sesame Salad Dressing


This is the second week in a row that I am having salad with this very delicious Asian Peanut Sesame Salad Dressing. It is that good! Many thanks to Little Corner of Mine for sharing her fabulous recipe. After tasting this dressing I realised that this is the dressing I have been looking for since tasting a similar one at The Salad Bar, Damansara Utama. 



I have not eaten at The Salad Bar for more than a year now as the salads don't taste as good as they used to (this is my personal opinion). My partner and I used to frequent this comfy little cafe on Saturdays after work for lunch. When it first opened for business, the owner was pretty much involved in the set up and running of the cafe for  a few months. Surprisingly business was very good. I mean did not realise that so many people appreciate salad as a main meal and that made me feel very happy because I love salads.



When I tasted their Asian Dressing for the first time, I fell in love with it. It has the fragrance of sesame and peanuts (like peanut butter) and it was sweet, sour and salty, just the way I love my salad dressings. And the next few times when I ate there, I requested for this dressing. I was too much of a coward (not like my Ee-Ee) to ask for the ingredients in the dressing. They might not tell me as most restaurants would not reveal their secret recipe.



I sort of guessed that there might be Tahini (sesame paste) in it and tried searching for Asian dressings on the internet. But looking at the ingredients, I knew they were not the one I was looking for. Until Little Corner of Mine posted her recipe. Well, you can't imagine how happy I was when I went through the ingredients and knew that this must be THE ONE! And sure enough, it was and it tasted a lot better than the one I had at The Salad Bar the last  time I ate there.


Ingredients. Ooops...soya sauce is not in the picture.
I find that coriander complements this dressing very well and being a coriander lover, I load lots of my favourite herb in my salad. I love having either roasted chicken or pork in the salad and it makes for a great main dish salad. As for the vegetables, add whatever you like - romaine, iceberg lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots, whatever strikes your fancy. Unless if you are allergic to peanuts, give this dressing a try. You might just  fall in love with it too :)










Asian Peanut Sesame Salad Dressing
Recipe Source : Little Corner of Mine
(Serves 3 or 4 but for Phong Hong it serves only 1 hah! hah!)

- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon sesame paste (tahini)
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon light soya sauce
- 2 teaspoon pure sesame oil
- 1 heaped tablespoon chunky/creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic

Method :
1. Put all ingredients into a blender and blend until fine and well mixed.
2. Pour into a glass jar with cover if you intend to store this in the fridge.

My notes :
1. If you find the dressing a bit thick, thin out with a bit of water
2. Dressing becomes thick in the fridge but just scoop the amount you need into a bowl and let stand to room temperature. It will be more liquid again.


52 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've got yourself a winning salad dressing there....I need to eat more salad too! Looks very appetizing, great for a light meal on its own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeannie, it is a very tasty dressing and I love it so much. Thanks to Little Corner of Mine!

      Delete
  2. Hi Phong Hong
    I really need to eat more salad like you too.....and with your continuous post of different salad dressings it just makes me craving for it. I love this dressing, it do looks really delicious. If this is just serve as only a meal, then it is serve for one lor....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel, I have this as a main dish salad. Big plate for me!

      Delete
  3. satu resipi yang baru buat Cm ni.Tak pernah makan sebelum ini.dan yang pentingnya sihat:)untuk orang yang nak mengecilkan saiz lengan,punggung dan bahu..(pstt I la tu :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CM, sebab tu lah I rajin-rajin makan salad. Tapi...sikit pun tak mengecut :(

      Delete
    2. ya la..apasal dah beberapa hari makan salad Cm dok camtu gak...perut asyik nyanyi je:(

      Delete
    3. CM, kite ni kena eksesais kot. Buat aerobik lompat sini lompat sana. Baru boleh slim sket :) Tapi malas.....

      Delete
  4. i never thought of such combination for the salad dressing! now you sound really really good about the dressing. you got so many salad dressing that i wish to try some of them too..wait la..see when is my salad days..hehe..thanks to you and also little corner of mine !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lena, must try ok? This dressing is really good, the peanut, sesame and ginger combination is very tasty.

      Delete
  5. Very interesting salad dressing, will need to give this a go next time I make salad!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi PH! I'm sure I would love this dressing too... grind some roasted sesame seeds too.. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alvin, with roasted sesame seeds it will taste even better!!

      Delete
  7. Your salad dressing looks amazing! I shall give this combination a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mich, do try it and I am very sure you will love it too!

      Delete
  8. PH...I percaya you punya salad ni jauh lebih sedap dari Pizza hut and damansara punya...
    ni dengan muka tak malu nak copy recipe lagi ni, boleeeh?

    tapi I terpaksa tukar daun ketumbar to daun selasih kot, boleh tak? sebab alergic pulak ngan bau daun ketumbar tu, to me macam bau bed bugs....ada2 jer I ni, kan?

    hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Queenie, silakan! I tak keberatan kalau orang nak copy resipi, I sikit tak kedekut hee...hee...You ni satu geng dengan bapak I. Dia tu pun complain, katanya daun ketumbar macam bau "stink bugs". Mana pulak macam bau pijat, wangi you! Tapi I rase daun selasih mungkin tak sesuai tapi you cuba sikit-sikit dulu. Manalah tau kalau serasi :)

      Delete
    2. ngeh3....oooo bed bugs tu namanya stink bugs eh? I punya la pening apa nak translate tu nate in english...rupa2nya you lagi terer, terus sebut pijat! ceh, bopeng aku! ngiahahaha....

      first time I jumpa chinese pandai sebut ni pijat, aiyaaa, tabik lah! toink toink!

      Delete
    3. I ni orang Terengganu. Chinese kat Terengganu kalau dia cakap Melayu and you tutup mata, mati-mati you akan ingatkan dia tu Melayu. Betul! Tapi I ni slack jugak, bahasa Cina tak tau cakap. Segan jugek....

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. It is very good Ola, you must try it!

      Delete
  10. Got ginger..good. wind can come out :p. Use young or old ginger?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After wind come out, no more phong hong hee..hee...I think should use young ginger but I used old ginger because that was what I had in the kitchen.

      Delete
  11. Hi PH, the combo for the dressing sounds interesting. And when it gets the seal of approval from a salad queen, it is bound to be good, huh! Must try one day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it is good! Must try and I am sure you will love it :)

      Delete
  12. PH, the salad dressing sound very good, I should start eating more salad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess, salads can be tasty if you use the right dressing with your favourites raw veggies and chicken/meat/seafood.

      Delete
  13. Hi PH, so mouth watering dressing and salad. Hmm, I think my hubby will like this, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimmy, do try this dressing. Goes well with either roasted chicken or meat.

      Delete
  14. sounds absolutely delicious.... i made my own tahini...senang je, toast sesame seeds (but try not to brown it) add olive oil and blitz it....oh...heaven! i have been making my own hummus.,..try try,,,,guarantee will eat by spoonful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then I must try that too! Been wanting to try hummus but still haven't got down to it. Must be very good for you to eat by the spoonfuls!

      Delete
    2. Hummus is too easy to make, kacang putih (or is it kacang kuda), garlic, tahini, salt, oil, lemon juice....blend aje la....its very versatile, can be kept for a week or can be frozen.... lazy ppl like me suka sama versatile food la

      Delete
    3. OK, will try this very soon!

      Delete
  15. oh,oh,oh!!! Very refreshing salad and the dressing looks amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Esther! Hope that you will try it too :)

      Delete
  16. Hi Phong Hong,
    Delicious looking salad! I could eat a big plate of this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyce, I always eat one big plate and it is so satisfying!

      Delete
  17. Phong Hong, The weather is so super hot recently. Really good to have this kind of refreshing salad everyday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, you are right! I find this dressing very uplifting :)

      Delete
  18. I've never seen those sauces before.oh,where do you buy them?
    but this salad looks so refreshing & delicious.
    dear friend, come~come to my blog and eat chinese dumplings.hahaha....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend, I buy them from Country Farm Organics. The peanut butter (no sugar added) can get from most supermarkets like 99 Speedmart or Tesco.

      Delete
  19. Yum! I don't remember the last time I made a salad. I need to soon, and this looks like a great place to start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a salad lover yet, Cathleen? Well, slowly but surely you will love it in time to come :)

      Delete
  20. Phong Hong,
    I am always using my old salad dressing again and again. :p
    It is so good your share this new recipe.,
    I would love to have a change since you love this so much, i know i will love this too.
    Can i have a piece of your romaine with lots of dressing .. :D
    mui

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mui mui, I make a small bowl for you! I think your boys will love this dressing too because it has a nice peanut fragrance.

      Delete
  21. I also have a peanut salad dressing...family recipe. Maybe I can blog about it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, please do! I am always on the lookout for good salad dressings :)

      Delete
  22. Aiyo how did i miss this and the ikan percik post? PH, i just went to The Salad Bar last week, and i must say the standards have jatuh SO much :( while the taste is still good, the quality of the ingredients are really not up to par. My salad had lotsa wilted greens and the cut ends were already browned..so sad. I used to love this place too, but now with the lousy quality, its just too expensive. Sad hor. Anyway, your sesame peanut dressing sounds fantastic, i want to make it asap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Esther, I was disappointed too with The Salad Bar. It is a beautiful thing but not well managed. That's the problem with most of the newly established eateries around my area. I have seen many come and go within a short spell, some less than a year. If standards continue to drop, they will lose customers. Do try the dressing, it is very good.

      Delete
  23. Glad you loved this dressing too. It's my keeper dressing, it makes eating salad so much delicious. Hahaha... Now I double the recipe when I make it and keep in the fridge as it serves me 6-7 times from that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it is a beautiful dressing! Thank you again for sharing it :)

      Delete