Thursday 10 January 2013

Golden Chocolate Cupcakes


When I saw Ann's Mini Golden Chocolate Cakes, I was rather enchanted. The two toned mini cakes looked very appealing, one layer of chocolate and one layer of golden cheese. I had been wanting to use the cheese powder I purchased a few months ago and I thought this was the perfect opportunity. 



Unbeknownst to me, I was rather careless and did not check the ingredients in the cheese powder carefully. I only discovered to my horror that it contained onion powder after I baked the cakes. Yarrrgh!!!! (cilaka!) No wonder the cupcakes smelt a bit strange even though they tasted rather good. Onion and chocolate, no go! The recipients of the cupcakes were very polite, no complaints received so far. ghee...hee...hee...hee....



Whatever it was, I attempted the cakes again the next day because I was very impressed with the taste (in spite of the unintentional oniony undertones) and texture. The batter is creamy and smooth and the end product is a moist spongy cake. The combination of chocolate and plain batter is like eating a chocolate marbled butter cake. Very rich, moist and satisfying.



As some of you already know, dainty and mini are not in my vocabulary. Even my pharmacist complained that my Roti Paung is too big. I should make them much smaller like my auntie's. Oh well, some of us are not meant for small things :) Ann's recipe yields 24 mini cakes and since I wanted regular sized cupcakes, I simply doubled her recipe. I got 16 cupcakes and baked them in regular muffin pans without liners. This recipe is a keeper and I will bake these cupcakes again soon.










Golden Chocolate Cupcakes
Adapted from Anncoo Journal's Mini Golden Chocolate Cakes
Makes 16 regular sized cupcakes

Ingredients :
- 160g butter
- 160g sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 tablespoons sour cream (or yogurt)
- 4 eggs
- 240g self-raising flour
- 30g cheese powder (I omitted in my second attempt)
- 120ml fresh milk
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder mixed with 3 tablespoons hot water to make cocoa paste

Method :
1. Grease 2 muffin tins and set aside.
2. Sift flour and ddd cheese powder (if using). Mix well and set aside.
1. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Add sour cream and mix well.
3. Add eggs one at a time and vanilla extract and mix well.
4. Add flour and milk alternately to the mixture and mix well.
5. Divide batter into two portions.
6. Mix one portion of the batter with the cocoa paste to yield chocolate batter.
7. Using a tablespoon, spoon one tablespoon of plain batter into each muffin cup and top with a tablespoon of chocolate batter. And you can alternate by spooning the chocolate batter first and then top with plain batter.
8. Bake at 160C between 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.

Note : The extra batter after filling up the 2 muffin tins were baked in cupcake liners after I was done with the first batch. I had a bit of fun swirling the two batters to get a marbled effect. 


59 comments:

  1. Hi Phong Hong,
    As i read on, I laughed on as the cheese powder with onion and resulted cheese cupcakes with onion taste as well... you have created a unique cupcakes in your first attempt. Chocolate cupcakes are always well received.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel, next time have to be careful. This cheese powder is meant for savoury food. I Think the one Ann used is specially for cakes. But based on my second attempt, no need to put cheese powder and it is still very good.

      Delete
  2. Phong Hong, i have bookmarked this recipe too, now I even more tempted hahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hagi hagi tengok you masok masok .Tungu tungu lah aku ni tengok saga sampai lau nuoir tok lama mulut aku aku jadi kering.makang pun tok boleh terang kena gigit satu kagi dan minum kopi-o bagu lah boleh telang kesian aku ni.Phong Hong tok kesian aku ni kah?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EE, aku takuk mu gemok lepas makang cupcake :D

      Delete
    2. Dia doh gemok doh pah balik from KT :)

      Delete
    3. Hah! Hah! Hah! Mok wi dia makang banyok :)

      Delete
    4. mok mu pun sekagang pun pandai kasi comment bila aku balik badan cacham pulut pipir gemok dan tok ada pinggan macham mu punya cupcake

      Delete
  4. Hi Phong Hong,

    of course, your recipients can't complain... if complain, no more yummy cakes from you :D

    I'm not too sure which kind of cheese powder to use for this recipe. I would prefer to omit it like what you did for your second attempt.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zoe, the cheese powder should be free of onion or other seasonings. I think the one Ann used is specially meant for cakes. But it's not crucial to add the cheese powder, tasted pretty good without it :)

      Delete
  5. Lovely looking cuppies despite the mishap. Been there, done that... Lol!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! Hah! A lesson well learnt, Shereen!

      Delete
  6. i am amused by your chocolate and onions concoctions, just like sometimes you can see recipes with chocolate and chili , or chocolate with black pepper powder.
    Would definitely love to try out this recipe, of course without the onion flavour, :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sem, it's hillarious isn't it? You should try this recipe without the cheese powder. It is really tasty and moist.

      Delete
  7. Actually I think this cake would be nicer without cheese powder. Vanilla cake and chocolate cake goes well... cheese and chocolate, I am not so sure, so I would also omit it like you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mich, you are right. Unless if the cheese powder is mild without any seasonings,it would be good.

      Delete
  8. Yep these look really good! I'll pin this and bake when I have the time this weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try it Jeannie, it is very good. No need to add cheese powder if you don't have any.

      Delete
  9. That's nice! The best of both worlds... LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arthur, it is indeed! Very nice combination of chocolate and vanilla.

      Delete
  10. Chocolate & cheese does go together, depending on what cake you are planning to make :). However, I feel by omitting it off this recipe is a good idea since both vanilla & chocolate are already rich & tasty individually. As for onion & choco, that's definitely a no go. Hehehe.. Cheers, Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Jo! It was unfortunate I didn't check properly and took it for granted that it was ok :(

      Delete
  11. Hi Phong Hong, from the photos, without reading the text, I know these cupcakes are yummy. Thanks for sharing. I like cupcakes that rise and 'smile' beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimmy, you should try it. Very moist and delicious :)

      Delete
  12. hehehe... adeiii! camner tu kek perisa bwg? tp takperlah at least tak terbuang.. jd tak membazir kan.. hehe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tu lah, lain kali kena check betul-betul. Hee..hee....

      Delete
  13. Hi PH! So how did it reslly taste like? I mean Chocolate and Onion combination... Sometimes a mistake in the kitchen can turn into a good new recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alvin, it actually tasted good in spite of the oniony smell :) Second attempt was better without the cheese powder. Your kids will love it!

      Delete
  14. Phong Hong, no wonder the name of your cupcakes sound so familiar to me. I also saw it on Ann's blog a few days ago. So you able to find the golden cheese in Malaysia?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessie, the cheese powder I got is not the same as Ann's. Mine I think is meant for savoury dishes. I should have checked first before using :)

      Delete
  15. So creative~ ~ ~this is my first time seeing these,two coloured cupcakes!
    Read your description,
    i do believe these not only add a big surprise when first see them,but take a bite as well!
    yummy,yummy....hahaha....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very yummy, except first time got funny smell hee..hee...

      Delete
  16. heehee..so it was not a moment of madness this time but a moment of carelessness? hahaha..i really a bit curious how's the choconion taste like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lena, hah! hah! yes very careless :( The taste was ok in the sense that the cheese and onion flavour was not that strong. But the smell was bit funny. Still edible :)

      Delete
  17. it goes straight in my mouth :) well made dear..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PT, pop! pop! pop! and they are all gone :)

      Delete
  18. Replies
    1. Thanks! Am thinking of more layering the next round :)

      Delete
  19. Buonissimi!!!!!!!!!!!!! meglio non vedere! eheheheh bye

    ReplyDelete
  20. And a new cupcake taste is invented.....cheesy cupcake with onion taste....

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Phong Hong,
    Hahaha! You had me in giggles! Choc cupcakes with cheesy onion powder! You are so funny!
    I'm rather curious about the taste! :)
    Your cupcakes looks lovely, moist and soft. Must be very good with a cup of Kopi-O!
    hehehe! I'm still smiling!!!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyce, minus the perisa bawang, it is a very good cupcake!

      Delete
  22. I have never tasted a cake with onion powder, you should send some for me to try out, hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! Hah! Hah! Sonia, I actually bought an extra packet and I thought of sending to you. But after discover got bawang flavour I tak berani give you :)

      Delete
  23. Phong Hong,
    I know there is a kind of just cheese powder sell in the bakery ingredients shop. If you do drop by a bakery ingredients shop do have a look:)

    Your cupcakes looks lovely with two tone. I believe your second attempt do taste great without the oniony flavour:p
    mui

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mui Mui! Next time I go to the bakery ingredient shop, I will look for it and try this recipe again with the proper cheese powder.

      Delete
  24. Cheesy onion pun ok la.. Rupa ada.. Rasa, belakang cerita ya.. 1st impression is important.. Hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  25. Onion and Chocolate? I once ordered a blueberry milkshake from a restaurant and it tasted like onions. Maybe they made the same mistake. I didn't complain because it reminded me of Willy Wonka, the gum with a full meal in it.
    These look great! Definitely on my to-do list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathleen, blueberry milkshake that taste of onions is like yikes! And you actually drank it, mmmmhhmmm....

      Delete
  26. hahaa.... Phong Hong, sometime we do make careless mistakes by adding wrong ingredients. NVM lol without the cheese powder also tastes perfect. If you want to try the cheese powder, I can send you some as I still have 3/4 packet of the powder left. Just email me your mailing address.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, that's very kind of you! I love this recipe very much and even without the cheese powder it was really good :)

      Delete
  27. Hi Phong Hong, despite the oniony taste the cupcake still look delicious, love the two tone color. Well, we do make silly mistake sometimes..... and kitchen disaster to me is very common in my kitchen. Now I need to set alarm or timer especially boiling soup.LOL

    Best regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amelia, I also set timer these days because I tend to forget! Hope you try the cupcakes one of these days.

      Delete