Monday 28 January 2013

Crispy Tofu Puff Meatballs


Many years ago I used to faithfully follow Agnes Chang's cooking show. I can't remember the name of the show but it has Agnes cooking for her screen family. I would sit in front of the TV with my notebook in hand to jot down the recipes.  And now I don't know where I put the notebook hah! hah! One the recipes I remember was a stuffed tofu puff dish where the tofu puffs are cut, inverted, filled and deep fried.

Minced meat mixture
Stuffed tofu puffs.

What reminded me of this recipe was Lena's Stuffed Tofu GuangXi Style during the MFF Pahang event. So I set out to make my version of the stuffed tofu puffs based on what I remembered. I used minced pork, prawns, onions, garlic, coriander, sesame oil, fish sauce and lots of pepper. You could use minced chicken instead of pork if you prefer. 


To flip the tofu puffs, just slice off the top or make a slit on top and carefully flip the tofu puff inside out to create a pouch. It is much easier to handle and makes for better presentation of you slice off the top instead of making a slit. I basically didn't want to waste and went with the slit method instead.


I usually avoid deep frying but I guess once in a while it is OK, I love the crispy crunch of deep fried foods and it tastes especially good dipped in chilli sauce. I served the tofu puff meatballs with Thai Chilli Sauce topped with a sprinkling of coriander leaves. You must serve this dish immediately so that the tofu puffs remain crispy. So it is best to fry just before serving.

To get better organised, you could stuff the tofu puffs a few hours in advance and store it in the fridge. Take it out to come to room temperature before frying.









Crispy Tofu Puff Meatballs
Recipe Source : Phong Hong as inspired by Agnes Chang

Ingredients :
- 400g minced pork
- 10 medium sized prawns, peeled and chopped into smaller peices
- 1 large onion, finely minced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- A generous handful of corriander leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 egg
- generous dash of pepper

- 20 tofu puffs
- oil for deep frying

Method :
1. Combine minced pork, prawns, onion, garlic, corriander leaves, fish sauce, sesame oil, egg and pepper. Set aside.
2. Blanch tofu puffs in hot water to remove excess oil. Rinse and squeeze out as much water as you can.
3. Slice off the top of each tofu puff and carefully flip it inside out to form pouches.
4. Using a  teaspoon, fill each puff with the minced meat mixture.
5. Deep fry in hot oil until golden brown and crispy.
6. Serve immediately.

I liked the crispy crunch of the Tofu Puff Meatballs and it tasted pretty good. I would say that this dish is very versatile as you could use any other ingredient that you like for example crab meat, salted duck egg yolk, water chestnut and many more.


I am submitting this post to Chinese New Year Delights 2013 hosted by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover.

51 comments:

  1. Yummmmm!!!! Looks so good! I love them in soup too. Slurpsss!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, much healthier in soups without all that oil!

      Delete
  2. Yes Phong Hong if you add in some water chestnut it would be nice hope you don't mind my comment.Tengok saja tok boleh makang

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, water chestnuts will add some crunch. I was just too lazy to buy and peel them heh..heh...

      Delete
  3. Hi Phong hong, today I come early so that can tapau. I have my tupperware with me right now. LOL Love your crispy tofu, look sooooo good and tempting. YUMMY!

    Have a wonderful day ahead,regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amelia, sure can tapau! You can have as many as you like :)

      Delete
  4. Oh wow this looks so delicious! I really like it, only concern is frying makes the kitchen a little oily... Maybe I can bake it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mich, you can bake this. It's a much healthier alternative. You are right, my kitchen became so oily :(

      Delete
  5. wah this dish must be very very yummy~ hahaha...
    i can imagine how good it is,give me one :p
    what kind of tofu puffs are you using?
    tofupok or bean curd?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used tofupok. Beancurd also can use but I wanted it more light and crispy. But it's oily lah, must drink plenty of tea after eating this :)

      Delete
  6. These tofu puffs looks yummy!!! I would like to cook these for my family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. another yummy creation of yours! Have you made fried fish ball Tgg style? Kalau ada, please share recipe yah...thx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I vaguely remember the fried fish balls. Let me check for the recipe from my auntie.

      Delete
  8. Hi PH! This is similar to the Hakka Yong Tofu? I would prefer to use beancurd for the softer texture... Lovey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alvin, it's something like that I guess. Yah, beancurd is another alternative. Would taste just as good!

      Delete
  9. Hi Phong Hong, oh, can't remember when I did this. Long time ago but it is really nice to snack on them with good chilli sauce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimmy, let me guess. You will fry this at your Mum's place. Hah! Hah! I love these puffs with lots of chilli sauce.

      Delete
  10. This looks really good! Never tried this when I was in Hong Kong, would definitely try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Purabi, if you have a chance to make these stuffed tofu puffs, let me know how it goes yah?

      Delete
  11. Aiyooooo......this is yummy. I love this stuff tofu very very much.... I want to go to ur house now....

    ReplyDelete
  12. My Dear PH,
    Firstly.. I definitely have to substitute the main ingredients to chicken/ beef.. hehehe.. The presentation is so tempting. Try to look tru my previous entry here @ http://ogyep-yummy.blogspot.com/2012/02/ogyeps-pop-tofu.html.

    More or less same recipe, only that I cut the tofu in such a way that it turned to be a rafflesia flower.. surely great on a plate, especially for d Makan Besar during d CNY nanti..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ogyep, I have just checked your version. Very pretty! I must do your style for a beautiful presentation and call it tofu flowers. Hee..hee...

      Delete
  13. i know this is sure yum yum, crispy skin and flavourful filling!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Who doesnt love stuffed fried tofu? Your tofu look so plump, stuffed with so much goodies, now i need some for supper! Hubbyis out for a meeting, good opportunity to ask him to tapau some back later kakaka!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Esther, how convenient hah! hah! The only thing I dread making these puffs is the frying process. Oil splatters everywhere. Sigh....

      Delete
  15. looks very crunchy..krok..krok..krok..this is a very delicious snack! i can eat five at one time..hehe..i also like the variation that you mentioned ie crab meat, salted eggs..oh, thanks for the mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lena, it is really nice to eat. I had some leftovers and I reheated in the oven at 180C for 15 minutes and it came out crunchy!

      Delete
  16. Wow, I'm going to like this. Can wallop quite a few pieces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheah, with a good chilli sauce we can really wallop!

      Delete
  17. This sure looks good & my sons will surely love this crisp version of tau foo pok! I've never try this before! Will try this ASAP , that's for sure! Thanks for sharing ! YUM! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kit, kids love these sort of crunchy stuff. It is also nice to dip with mayo.

      Delete
  18. Malas tok apa pangi aku aku selau ge kopek water chest nut kasi you lepa tolong aku pun boleh tumpang mulut .Betul dok?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Phong Hong,
    This look so good!
    I like your plump looking stuffed tofu puff, can see lots of filling inside. Yum yum yum!!

    mui

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mui mui, my tofu puffs must be "fatt, fatt" for Chinese New Year!

      Delete
  20. Hi Phong Hong, sorry that I'm late as yesterday was the replacement holiday for Sat(Australia Day) & we usually busier on the public holidays. These deep fried stuffed tofu puffs look so yummy! I can just eat these without any dipping sauce! Bagi lima boleh tak, haha?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessie, you can have as many as you like! But this one can be heaty wor...If eat too much can get sore throat hee..hee...

      Delete
  21. I can almost smell from here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! Hah! And I bet you can imagine the crunch!

      Delete
  22. Hi Phong Hong,
    This looks really good! Yah, frying with lots of oil is sinful, but I love fried food! Haha! Especially just like this, eaten fresh, minutes from the frying pan is so, so, good! I could eat a plateful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyce, you are right! Immediately served is best unless if you are the poor cook, sweating it out. But hey, we can dig in while frying :)

      Delete
  23. Hi there - this is really inspiring. I need to learn how to deal with tofu. Thanks for this. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carole! You could start getting acquainted with tofu this way :)

      Delete
  24. I like how the tofu puffs were turned inside out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When turned inside out it makes for a better pouch to put the stuffing in. By the way, love the crafts that you do, very cool!

      Delete