I had 8 sticks of leftover satay in the freezer including a little bit of the satay gravy. I also had some frozen rice, brought forward from a recent family gathering. Sounds like a perfect situation to make fried rice :)
|Defrosted rice and satay.|
I didn't need any special seasoning as the satay will contribute lots of flavor to the rice. All I needed was some onions and garlic. I also added diced cucumbers and cili padi for additional oomph!
|Diced onions, chopped garlic, sliced cili padi and diced cucumber.|
It was very delicious and I highly recommend that you try it if you have any leftover satay. Or why not buy some satay to cook this fried rice?
You can just go by your own estimates. My recipe below is just a guide :)
Satay Fried Rice
Recipe source : Phong Hong's concoction
- 2 cups overnight cooked rice
- Meat from 5 sticks of chicken satay
- 1 big onion, diced
- 1 large clove of garlic, chopped
- 2 cili padi, sliced
- some diced cucumbers
- 1 tablespoon kicap manis (sweet soya sauce)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
1. Heat oil in frying pan and saute onions until translucent.
2. Add garlic and stir for 30 seconds.
3. Add satay meat and fry until heated through.
4. Add rice, kicap manis and fish sauce.
5. Fry until rice is well incorporated with ingredients.
6. Add cili padi and diced cucumbers and mix well.
7. Serve with some satay sauce.
And you can also top with a fried eggs to make it extra special. I will definitely cook this fried rice again as it was very tasty. Hmmm.....I'll go and buy some satay one of these days.