Another kerabu? Yup, I love kerabu! And I guess I'm not done yet with kiwifruit. Still very much in love with the sweet sourish taste and I reckon it would be great in a kerabu.
For a simple kerabu without sambal belacan, I like to use just lime juice and fish sauce. And I add some plum sauce for the sweetness. In addition, I was feeling a tad extravagant and decided to add some anchovies too. Very similar to the dressing I used for Kerabu Pelam.
|Anchovies, lime and plum sauce. Notice the expiry date? Just as well.|
And too further enhance the dressing, I bruised a lemongrass and let it infuse into the dressing. I also added some finely sliced shallots.
|Lemongrass and shallots enhance the flavour.|
My kerabu consisted of kiwifruit, young papaya, mango and cucumber.
|I added cherry tomatoes to make it more colourful.|
I also fried some dried prawns (heh bee) until crispy as a garnish.
|Crispy dried prawns.|
Feel free to add or substitute any fruits of your choice. I think green apples would also be a nice addition.
For the salad :
- Kiwifruits, sliced
- Young mango, grated
- Young papaya, grated
- Cherry tomatoes, halved
- Cucumber, thinly sliced
- Daun kesum (laksa leaves, finely sliced)
- Daun selasih (basil, finely sliced)
For the dressing :
- Lime juice from 2 or 3 limes
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon plum sauce
- 2 anchovy fillets (mashed)
- 1 lemongrass (bruised)
- 1 shallot, finely sliced
For garnishing :
- 1 tablespoon dried prawns, fried until crispy
For the dressing (prepare this ahead of time to allow flavours to infuse):
- Mix lime juice, fish sauce, plum sauce and anchovy fillet. Adjust to taste.
- Add shallots and bruised lemongrass.
- you can also add a little bit of the oil from the anchovy fillet for extra flavour.
To assemble kerabu :
- Put all fruits and vegetables in a bowl together with mint, daun kesum and basil
- Remove lemongrass, pour in dressing and toss.
- Sprinkle the crispy dried prawns over the kerabu.
|Colourful and delicious.|
|Best way to get your fibre, minerals and vitamins.|